Windows 8 Administrative Virus

roesty

I was downloading something off the internet, and unfortunately it contained a virus. I already deleted all of the infected folders, but the virus put a permanent proxy on under the network settings that is protected by the administrator (the virus did some shit where it set itself as the admin) How do I turn off the proxy, or more specifically, how do I become the admin to turn off the proxy myself.

The proxy limits me from going onto the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Windows Forums mobile app

There isn't really enough information to give you a good answer but I'll give it a try. If the malware created a new account, made it an admin and your normal account a standard user. You will need to gain access to that admin account or the built-in Administrator account. You can use the Hiren boot disc to blank out the password on any account. Once you've got access to an admin account you should be able to remove the proxy settings. Resetting Windows Password | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform

You could also have a router virus--those are going around now more and more. If neem's suggestions don't fix it, you might need to shut off all your connected PCs and laptops/tablets on your home network, and do a factory reset on your Wi-Fi router. (might be a good idea to take screenshots of your Admin setting screens prior to doing the factory reset, as it will erase all your current settings). Nuking proxy settings or firewall settings are common symptoms of the various router viruses I see at my Customer's homes. The factory reset usually does the trick. However, the tricky part is that before you perform the reset on your router, you should leave it off, and scan/remove all viruses found on all of your connected computers first! If you fail to do this, and you reset the router, the router can become re-infected again if the virus is alive on any of your connected computers or devices.:wound:
We also strongly suggest you do a full scan for spyware viruses on each of your computers that connect to your router using the free MALWAREBYTES available from malwarebytes.org. Scan/remove ALL spyware viruses found on all connected computers and devices. THEN and ONLY THEN, perform the factory reset on your router. After the reset, connect your primary computer (desktop, laptop, or tablet) to your router, make sure your proxy problem has been resolved and it's Internet connection is Ok. Repeat for the next computer or device, and repeat until you have all your computers and devices working properly on the Internet.:)
From there, you can go back into the Router Admin utility and copy the settings and parameters you collected from your old router config and retest each of your computers and devices with the new settings. If all computers and devices are properly accessing the Internet, you're good to go!:up:

Good luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom