Windows 7 Administrator rights

ziglee

Running build 7048. When I try to install, for example, Firefox, Windows displays that I don't have admin's permissions and asks to type admin password. But I'm the only user on my computer. I've heard there was a tweak solving this problem. Can you help me?

You must have somehow created a password when installing Windows. If you set up your account as a limited account, choose Change Account type and make it an Administrator. I that doesn't work:

To enable the hidden Administrators account:

Go to Start > Run and type cmd and hit Enter.

Now type in the following:
net user administrator /active:yes

To disable it type
net user administrator /active:no

If that fails to work, you can use a password dumping tool for ethical purposes. It's called pwdump3e. It must be run from the command-line and have at least two accounts enabled.You can download it here:

http://www.openwall.com/passwords/dl/pwdump/pwdump3e.zip

You could alos run this registry script that will enable you to take Ownership of a complete directory:

Copy and paste the info inside the quote into Notepad, choose Save As, then select All Files from the drop-down menu box and type in takeownership.reg. Save it to your desktop and double-click on it to merge it intro the registry. this will place Take Ownership to the right-click context menu for folders.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@=\"Take Ownership\"
\"NoWorkingDirectory\"=\"\"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@=\"cmd.exe /c takeown /f \\"%1\\" /r /d y && icacls \\"%1\\" /grant administrators:F /t\"
\"IsolatedCommand\"=\"cmd.exe /c takeown /f \\"%1\\" /r /d y && icacls \\"%1\\" /grant administrators:F

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot. the 1st method (with cmd) works exellent. but when I try to do this with a *.reg file I recieve this notification:
c478ba294fe5.jpg

Sorry, it should read like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Back