Windows 10 Administrator

Sam Waylen

I have been quite confused between use of terms, e.g. administrat , owner and such

I have upgrqaded to Windows 10 in the hope that I would have the highest administrative status..
On nearly every occsion I seem to fit the bill but recently I have been faced,from time to time, with THIS message whilst trying to save my Data

C:\METER READINGS ON 15 B08 B2021.rtf
You don't have permission to save in this location.Contact the administrator to obtain permission.
Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead

[ yes ] [ no ]

This message has appeared.. ( If I was cleverer I would know how to take a screen shot.. )

I don't know how to get around this.

I believe that I should be the exclusive administrator.

Might there be someone in the Forum who can guide me please ?

Sam

I have been quite confused between use of terms, e.g. administrat , owner and such

I have upgrqaded to Windows 10 in the hope that I would have the highest administrative status..
On nearly every occsion I seem to fit the bill but recently I have been faced,from time to time, with THIS message whilst trying to save my Data

C:\METER READINGS ON 15 B08 B2021.rtf
You don't have permission to save in this location.Contact the administrator to obtain permission.
Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead

[ yes ] [ no ]

This message has appeared.. ( If I was cleverer I would know how to take a screen shot.. )

I don't know how to get around this.

I believe that I should be the exclusive administrator.

Might there be someone in the Forum who can guide me please ?

Sam

Sorry for the mistake back there.I thought I would edit my posting but the screen wouldn't let me back in in except to copy and paste as if I had just written it.
Hope you all understand

That message is a fairly generic message intended for those whose machines are managed by an organization. From a home user perspective it would mean you if it's a single user system or another family member if you share a system and someone else is the administrator of it.

For a single user system, the first account created on a system is also added to the administrators group locally on the system and has the ability to perform administration functions.

It's important to note that even as a member of the administrators group for most activities an user runs as a standard user account. For any operation that requires administrator rights you will get a UAC prompt which temporarily elevates only the process that requires the admin rights.

by default upgrading any Windows system keeps the old settings ... one of the main reasons you should always do a clean install

what is the location you are trying to save to? I'd assume its locked inside a Dropbox or onedrive sync... in which case you are stuffed and should save the file somewhere else

I would like to add that, when ever an administrator or standard user tries to save, from within a program or app, to a folder found under Program Files or Program Files x86 or Windows (maybe others also, I'm not sure), which are considered by Win10 as system/protected/restricted folders, he will get the same UAC prompt.
But if an administrator will try to copy/paste a file in exactly the same folder as above mentioned, using the Windows explorer (file manager), then he will get a different type of prompt asking to provide administrator permission to copy to that folder and a Continue button besides Skip and Cancel, which when pressed, will enable the copy operation (in other words, because he was an administrator, he already provided the required permission).
When trying to save a file from within a program in one of the protected folders, it doesn't matter that an administrator is using the program. The program is not allowed to continue the operation because a program can't provide admin permission unless it was run as administrator.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Back