Advice needed regarding windows 7

Hi

I recently downloaded Winrar and ever since it was installed my computer went down hill. I tried to uninstall it but it is still present. Now most of my files will not open and nor does windows media player.

I am thinking of doind a system reformat, but need some advice on what to do. What i would like to do is to clean the whole system and start again, i have all the cds available and am able to back up my data.

HELP PLEASEEEEE.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hi Huzayfah,
are you sure you didn't get a bug too? Try running a anti-virus/spyware software like Malwarebytes or Avast:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes

avast! - Download Free Antivirus Software or Internet Security

Another great app for cleaning your machine is Ccleaner which like the apps above is free:

CCleaner Download | C Cleaner Review, Testimonials | Free CCleaner

Also have you considered try a system restore? You could restore the machine to a point before Winrar was installed (try 7zip by the way as a alternative 7-Zip ) if you have the restore point...

If all of the above is still no help then try these video's:

first you'll need to change the 'Boot order' so you'll boot from the windows 7 disk and not your HDD. This guide will show you how:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically i tried the cleaner and it found 1000+ registry errors, then it rebooted and now internet explorer does not work.

Could you please advise me as to what i can do, as i have no clue about computers

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Check my screenshot as it will show you where you can un-install IE8 first and then re-install it. Hopefully this will get it up and running again although please reboot inbetween un-installing and re-installing (it will probably ask you to reboot anyway). If this fails then system restore might be an option?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.