Windows 8 AdwCleaner

ObiwanRei

You really should run Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro. V9 is one of those infections that also can change all of your internet browser shortcuts as well so it seems like your infected even after you've cleaned your system (and this just reinfects you).

Check the properties of any Firefox/IE/Chrome shortcuts you have, chances are you'll see http://www.v9.com appended to their launch command.

I did download and run JWT, and then i ran again AdwCleaner... sorry, it is still there...

You really should run Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro. V9 is one of those infections that also can change all of your internet browser shortcuts as well so it seems like your infected even after you've cleaned your system (and this just reinfects you).

Check the properties of any Firefox/IE/Chrome shortcuts you have, chances are you'll see http://www.v9.com appended to their launch command.

I shall try your suggestion and check it. I'll keep you informed of the results. Thank you very much.

I shall try your suggestion and check it. I'll keep you informed of the results. Thank you very much.

Sorry late visit and late reply. I did all of your suggestions, but ... today i ran again adwcleaner v.9 is still there. couldn't get rid of it. i did also system restore, it didn't help...

I don't want to create a new thread. can i post my question here?
Recently, when i check my laptop, i encountered a winSxS folder and there are so many files which i don't understand since august 2013 till now. I googled what is winsxs folder and do the cleanup.. e.g. disk cleanup, dism-startcomponentcleanup... but it did not delete these files. My question is can i delete it manually from WinSxS folder... only the old files... 2013 and 2014.

Thank you very much... Sorry, i am really new in the computer world, but i learn so much in exploring the internet and searching through google.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your browsers?

I googled what is winsxs folder and do the cleanup.. e.g. disk cleanup, dism-startcomponentcleanup

in Windows 7*, 8 or 8.1 you run the cleanmgr.exe tool to remove these files;
winsxs3.png

* in 7 this was added by a update patch so if you don't see the option highlighted in red on the image then you need to update your copy of Windows first.

can i delete it manually from WinSxS folder
No you cann't!

In all cases this tool only removes the old patch-backup files (after a system re-boot) and of course that then means you cann't un-install any of your Microsoft patches once this is done.

in Windows 7*, 8 or 8.1 you run the cleanmgr.exe tool to remove these files;
View attachment 29980

* in 7 this was added by a update patch so if you don't see the option highlighted in red on the image then you need to update your copy of Windows first.

No you cann't!

In all cases this tool only removes the old patch-backup files (after a system re-boot) and of course that then means you cann't un-install any of your Microsoft patches once this is done.

Thank you.. I'll leave it as is..

Would you help, please? every time I run AdwCleaner, v9.com is always being found. this is very persistent.. I even run Mbam, Windows Defender, MSERT.. only AdwCleaner find this. I always clean it as suggested by AdwCleaner... Below is the detail..

[C:\Users\Water\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - Deleted [Homepage] : hxxp://www.v9.com/?type=hppp&ts=1400364953&from=irs&uid=HitachiXHTS545050A7E380_TMA55BZJ21G7SP21G7SPX&i=psd&t=342aebbff

I did experiment on this... I have deleted Secure Preferences and run AdwCleaner... v9.com is gone. I restore Secure Preferences and again, run AdwCleaner.. no more www.v9.com found... I hope I have succeeded..

I'll check again tomorrow and see if it is really gone.

I don't want to try using Hitman Pro.. I googled it and have read somewhere that it has a bad reputation and bad reviews.. Thanks.

I don't know where its bad reputation comes from, it's a good tool. Would I use HitMan Pro alone? No. I would use it in combination with other removal tools. The good thing about it is that it's cloud based, and doesn't have to install to run. I would go ahead and run it on your system and see if it finds any leftovers.

I don't know where its bad reputation comes from, it's a good tool. Would I use HitMan Pro alone? No. I would use it in combination with other removal tools. The good thing about it is that it's cloud based, and doesn't have to install to run. I would go ahead and run it on your system and see if it finds any leftovers.

"I wouldn't recommend anybody to use it on the forums, simply because it's quite unreliable and does not produce any logs that would help you pin down what exactly hitmanpro deleted to render the PC unbootable.

To give an example, last I used hitman pro, it would not disinfect infected drivers, but simply delete them. Meaning it would delete core Windows drivers that had been patched and you would have to figure out which of the many crucial drivers of Windows was missing.

So yes, both are legitimate programs. However, unless you really know what you are doing, you can harm your computer. If you think you have a malware problem, I'd suggest you to start a new topic in the >>Am I Infected<< subforum instead of using these tools to solve your problem yourself. Also, please read >>this<< before starting your topic."

Hello Mr.Josephur, I've got the above from Bleeping Computer... Honestly, I am afraid to run and use Hitman Pro.

Obiwan I've used it on hundreds of systems and never had it delete a driver, but of course that can happen. (hell that can happen with just about any security software). I run a PC shop and put about 3-5 PC's a day through HitMan Pro with no problem, along with MalwareBytes, ADW Cleaner, JRT Removal.. etc

You should *ALWAYS* create a System Restore Point before using antivirus or malware removing programs, just in case. I use ERUNT, have for a long time now, because I don't count on System Restore working properly.

Thank you Mr Josephur, am really afraid and wouldn't take the risk of running Hitman Pro. Thanks very much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom