Windows 7 Ahci

Yes, the motherboard should support AHCI. It will be in bios settings in the hard drive settings where you probably have options or IDE/AHCI/RAID.

Are you wanting to hot swap your internal drives or an e-Sata one?

Well I certainly can't see any mention in the BIOS Sata configuration , there is no option that let's me set ACHI .

I have a Coolermaster case with a HDD docking bay at the top , so it's not eSATA

If you have this board yourself, can you show me on what page in the manual it states that you can set ACHI ? Please

Thank you

Ralph

Check the Bios, Main-Storage Configuration-SataConfiguration (Enhanced). Page 2-8 in the manual.

Hmmm this is tough ,

I checked my BIOS 0405 , and I have the option to select Enhanced , how ever CANNOT see or have any options to select AHCI

And if I leave it in Enhanced , it won't hot swap any drives. This board is brand new , I would expect it to support hot swap .

Are you actually hot swapping yourself , or are you just telling me it supports AHCI , because nothing in the manual and or in the BIOS that

says AHCI ...

Ralph

Well I'm running my P5p43td pro (Bios 7.05) in AHCI mode and using it with 3x sata hd's and a sata dvdrw happily for the last 6 months, the USB3 flavour of this board should be identical in that regard.

FILE0014.jpg

FILE0012.jpg

FILE0013.jpg

Attachments

• FILE0012.JPG
    FILE0012.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Thanks for the screen shots , Your board is "Pro" and you have RAID on board , mine doesn't .

And I think it has something to do with the South Bridge not having a "r" after ICH10(R) , yours does , and

mine doesn't. Could there anything I have turned off in my BIOS so that that ACHI option totally disappeared ?

Anyone ? ? ?

Hmmm just browsing the manual from Asus site does seem to backup what you say, there's no listing for AHCI mode in section 2-7 and 2-8, weird as I nearly bought myself but opted for the cheaper "Pro" version with the reasoning would be identical specs barring USB3 interface, although you will have the option of using a USB3 to Sata external caddy for hotswapping which should be close to sata speeds.

Something like this

http://www.dabs.com/products/dynamode-3-5--sata-superspeed-usb3-0-enclosure-71ZY.html

Last edited:
Also would just like to mention that I'm fairly sure SATA regular has hotswapping feature anyway... a quick look on wiki's also suggests that...any more Technical folk about wanna clear this up?

SOURCE - WIkipedia:

The Serial ATA Spec, includes logic for SATA device hotplugging. Devices and motherboards that meet the interoperability spec are capable of hot plugging.

The attachment is from the owners manual for a P5P43TD. Perhaps you have another version, or perhaps you need to update the bios.

Attachments

• Ahci.GIF
    Ahci.GIF
    22 KB · Views: 563
Well there it is in black and white. Should be easy enough to understand.

The "enter" key must be pressed to go configure the "Enhanced" options. Some BIOS are just different.

Gigabyte motherboards BIOS is easier to navigate and configure compared to ASUS.

Looks like cybercore is correct. the /USB3 version of the manual does not show an AHCI option. You still might check to see if there is a bios update, maybe it has been added.

That's unusual because it shows the Intel ICH10R chipset for the motherboard at the ASUS website page for that mobo.

ICH10R is SATA AHCI capable.

Perhaps if you download S.I.W. (System Info for Windows) it may show you what specifically is going on with you motherboard.

Also Intel has a Windows-based program for AHCI enabling called Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) driver version 9.6.0.1014.

It is for RAID or AHCI configurations. You might try downloading it, installing it and see what happens. If AHCI is NOT available it probably won't install.

Go to this link to download it: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Back