Windows 7 Alternative to Typing in a P/W

Drew

Banned
For those who think it a pain having to type in a P/W (each time) to get into their Windows8, be aware that there is an alternative...

Instead of such a P/W, one can use a picture. You simply make 3 'marks' on that picture to have access. The 'marks' can be made by mouse or Touch.

Here is where this is done or set-up...

Screenshot.JPG

Cheers,
Drew

Myself, I quite like using the picture method. Nice, personal photo fills the screen & doing the Log-in/'Password' motions is quicker than typing in my P/W.

Cheers,
Drew

Interesting idea Drew but I must say that it seems a whole lot less bother just using the traditional "typing a password" method :) but perhaps that is only so on a desktop computer. But, then, the whole Metro thing seems a nuisance to me; am I without hope? :devilish:

As I said, I can access faster w/ the picture motions & it's 'prettier' screen & on a regular desktop machine And, really, less bother than typing a P/W... mouse is already in hand, couple little motions, we're done. Has nothing to do w/ 'Metro' anything. As far as the Win8 Start screen goes, I can, certainly, not feel it a nuisance... I boot straight to Desktop & stay there... there is that choice. I never visit Start, except, rarely, occasionally to Search for something or to Remove a Tile that appeared after installing something but, is not needed to be kept there. Honestly, no need for ppl to get hung up on or bothered by "the whole Metro thing". I created an Applications folder on the Taskbar & gone is any need to bounce back n forth to Start. If, you want to know how to accomplish this, lemme know, be glad to tell you.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Drew ..... I certainly don't want to argue about this and I had hoped that my last reply would be seen to be a little humorous. We all have our own ways of working and our own preferences and I hope that I'm open to new ideas. Sorry to bring up the Metro thing (there I go again :devilish:) as it's not part of this topic however I'd like to know how to boot straight to the desktop. I've tried some of the methods others have described but couldn't get them to work. Peace ?

I'd like to know how to boot straight to the desktop. I've tried some of the methods others have described but couldn't get them to work. Peace ?
This is a method I have used, which works reliably to get you past the metro tile (Start) screen and straight to the Desktop with only a slight pause (delay) at the metro screen.
Go here;
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Right click any blank area and choose New->Shortcut
Copy and paste this into the box that says "Type the location of the item:"
C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257}
Click next
Give it a name
Desktop
works fine and click finish.
Reboot and test.
As I said there is a slight delay so be patient, depending on what you got going on at startup, it should only be a few seconds at most.
Regards
Randy

EDIT: Originally posted here http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-discussion/2957-just-fun-5.html#post6326

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Randy. Takes about 14 seconds to automatically move to Desktop. Maybe it's slow cos I'm running Win8 in a virtual environment with very little RAM allocated to it. Hopefully Win8 will be more configurable when the commercial version is out.

Thanks Randy. Takes about 14 seconds to automatically move to Desktop. Maybe it's slow cos I'm running Win8 in a virtual environment with very little RAM allocated to it.
That could be it, although I have never really timed mine from metro start to desktop, I'm usually doing something else, making coffee, pouring coffee, lamenting that I'm out of coffee.

Hopefully Win8 will be more configurable when the commercial version is out.
I for one am not going to hold my breath. I have a sneaky hunch that what you see is pretty much what you are going to get, with some minimal polishing.

R & R,

1st, Randy, thanks for giving Rachel the 'how to' for me, obviously, I'm just checking messages, now.

Since very early on, I have used this. Yes, Rachel, attribute it to the vm & the hardware specs of both the host & the vm. I'm w/ a dual-boot ergo, just a plain ole, regular PC... the time it takes going through Start is extremely brief! There is enough time to actually chose a Tile, instead but, one better think & act fast... know what Tile you want before you hit that screen cus, there's no head-scratching time & sure, not time for me to go make an espresso. The past through time is REALLY short, couple moments & this it, slightly more than the time to blink.

Cheers,
Drew

Hi Drew .....

I've abandoned the virtual Windows 8 installation and set up a dual boot on my laptop. I'll try it out on there. As there is a new release coming up soon I won't do too much on the current installation.

Well I've tried this trick for booting to Desktop but it's still taking over 10 seconds to switch out of the Start page. It's much quicker just to press the Desktop button on the Start page. Perhaps my desktop PC will be quicker. When the new release of Windows 8 Preview becomes available in early June I may just install it on my desktop machine as dual boot. I was a little reluctant to do that before trying dual boot on my laptop. Thanks anyway Drew and Randy for your help.

I find the picture login using anything other than a touch-based device to be completely inefficient. My mouse can't move at the speed at the which I can a) swipe my finger over my biometric reader or even b) type in my 4 character PIN and not even have to press enter.

Different strokes for different folks ;)

(I like my picture (vintage Harley) & using it) And I don't type very fast, either LOL

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

I used the P/W for first week and then for the fun of it really, went to the picture with the 3 mark thing.. like it and kept it..
As I am retired another 10 or so seconds longer to light up my computer is no big deal.. I am not in a big hurry ..lol

Back