Windows 10 Anniversary Installed!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

My computer updated to Anniversary last night and there are some big changes right off the bat.

For one thing my computer is running really slow, and the taskbar keeps hiding itself and I can't find anyplace to turn it off.

When I right click in this window the drop down window does not appear.

So my first job is to figure out what is causing everything to run so poorly.

I've rebooted several times but it hasn't improved performance.
This seems to be throughout all programs I've tried to run, in Google Chrome or my word processor.

There are major changes in the way that the menus look.
For one thing all programs are available in the main menu, you don't have to click the all programs button, they are just there.

I think I'm going to have to reinstall Chrome, it just doesn't seem to be working right.

If I spell something wrong it tells me by underlining it, but when I right click nothing happens.

Same with Open Office.

Boot times seem normal, but software is slow to open.

I'll mess around and see if I can figure this out, I did make a system image before it updated.
So if I need to I can restore my computer to it's previous state.

Mike

A lot of the changes you will notice are in the new settings menu. Microsoft has migrated a lot of the legacy control panel settings to their new settings interface. I tried installing the update and it got to about 65% and then all I got was a black screen for the 40 minutes I let it sit there. Luckily if you reboot once it will try and continue which also failed. A second reboot and it reverted back to the older build. Guess I'll need to look through logs.

Hi

I'm finding that anything right click related is really, really slow, to the point that I thought that it wasn't working at all.
Even if I right click on the desktop, nothing happens for like 30 seconds and then the menu will open sometimes.

I move an icon on the desktop and it didn't move.
I few minutes later I noticed that it was in the new position.

Weird.

Ok, I got auto hide turned off for the taskbar.

My main problem seems to be with the right click menus, they just take forever to open if they open at all.

Mike

I'm running sfc /scannow, we'll see what happens with that.
Things seem to be a little better on the desktop, I moves an icon and it did move to the new location.

sfc completed with no problems shown.

Last edited:
I'm just going to resort to a clean install again. Upgrades always seem to cause issues. :)

Hi again.

Well it just started working, I have no idea why, but I came back in from talking to the painter working on our house and right clicked on the desktop and the menu opened.

I just spelled a word incorrectly and it underlined it and when I right clicked on it the menu opened.

I hope that's it for problems, now I'll dig into the differences, but first I have to go and work on the Koi pond for awhile.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Again.

Well the problems I was having this morning seem to have resolved themselves.
I don't know what was making it so slow, or why the right click wasn't working but both problems seem to have gone away.

I've restarted several times and it seems to be stable.

That's a relief.

I see online that a number of people are having problems getting the install to complete, not just Neemo.

My friend waited until the last day to upgrade to Windows 10 and then couldn't get it to complete, she tried twice and it stopped at 97% and wouldn't go any farther.

Now it's too late to try again, unless they give her credit for starting before the end date.
She has decided to just wait until she gets a new computer instead of trying again.

Mike

I'm just going to resort to a clean install again. Upgrades always seem to cause issues. :)
Well, I agree in the first instance. But I've been busy today. Two fresh installs and three upgrades. I must admit, though, to more satisfaction from a fresh install. All software installed in virgin condition, and then, of course, the mandatory image , before reinstalling the software, before I go further. - Everything running sweet.

Last edited:
Hi again, again.

Well my issues seem to be kind of on and off, it will work ok for a while and then the right click will stop and I get screen distortion when a drag something on the desktop.

Next step is to try a new Video Drivers.

Mike

Well, updating my Nvidia Graphics Drivers seems to have helped a lot.
My computer is feeling much quicker than before, no big lags before things open etc.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this was the problem.

Last edited:
I would like to confirm then that the fix for all your post-Update issues is to talk to your Painter (can I have his number please?) and visit your Koi Pond, correct?? How much are you charging to visit the Pond?? Can we buy tickets at Ticketmaster online? LOL. :rofl:

Interesting...I had none of the problems you mention on the v1607:b14393.10 update on my W10 test machine yesterday. And this machine got the latest update via auto-update & WUDO maximum download settings (WUDO=Enabled & PCs on local network+Internet setting). Neither did Sonny.:) I wonder if getting the updates in a different part of the country or in a different country altogether has anything to do with it. :andwhat: Mike, you're in Michigan, I'm in Southern California, Sonny is in New Mexico, and Norway is in Australia.:curious: Seems like all of us except you had NO issues with this update (yet!!).

And the Story continues....
Best,
Marc :up:

Hi BigBear

It seems that most of my problems were fixed by updating my video drivers, the clue was when I started seeing screen distortion when moving windows on the desktop.

Right now my computer seems to be working pretty well.
At least my right click menus are working.

Here's the Koi Pond and it's Free!!!

This was shot with my IPad.

I built the pool 30 years ago, and have just finished rebuilding it back to like new again.

Some of my fish I've had for more than 15 years.

When I looked online I saw people who were having problems getting the update to complete like Neemo, but I didn't find anyone having the problems that I did, just lucky I guess. LOL

Anyway I have my fingers crossed but it seems to be working it's way out.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike, Mine was the same way. I did a clean install after the upgrade and everything seems to be running smoothly now.

I'm hoping that I don't have to do that, I just have so much stuff installed it's a real pain, and I'm probably going to buy a new computer this fall, and I'll have to do it then anyway.

Loved your Koi Pond video--That's totally Awesome!:D:D I will have to show that to my wife. She loves Koi ponds. :encouragement: :cat:

Next topic: A new computer?? Are you kidding me!! :ahaha: Ha! I haven't bought a new computer since 2008!:D However I did buy 2 very nice ones, my Sony Vaio laptop VGN-FW139E and my Dell Studio540 Desktop PC. Spent $2,200 on those 2, but they are still running great albeit a new PSU, couple of new AC adapters and batteries, as well as 2 or 3 hard drives.:up: But, those Mobos are still running, and they are running W10 now both fully licensed and Activated!! :up: Probably the best 2 computers I've ever owned. <:o)

I guess it's the same reason Auto mechanics don't buy new cars very often or at all.:ohno:Since they have the knowledge and skill to make old cars run as good, if not better, than brand new cars (less the Bluetooth and heated cup-holders of course!). :thumbs_up:

Marc :computer:

I'm hoping that I don't have to do that, I just have so much stuff installed it's a real pain, and I'm probably going to buy a new computer this fall, and I'll have to do it then anyway.
>>>I get that. Most of us hate having to rebuild our PCs with yet another new version of Windows.:rolleyes: However, as you do, that's what the test machines are for. The upside of this, is you wind up with a much cleaner running PC,:applaud: and you get of programs no longer being used, obsolete or outdated and wind up putting new apps on their since you have more room--at least you'll have a Clean desktop without 600 icons squeezed onto it like sometimes we do. Also, we learn a lot from every rebuild; even after doing 30,000 or so, there's always stuff to learn.<<<

Marc :cool:

Hi

I get a new computer every four years more or less.
I'm a gamer and performance is everything.

Most of my old ones are still in use by whoever I passed it on to.

I'm looking forward to having a SSD for my games, not just one for Windows.
I'm planning a 250 GB for Windows, a 500 GB for my games and then a 3 TB spinner for all my files, backups etc.

I have 2 TBs of external storage too.

It will be interesting to see how having the SSD will speed up loading times in games.

My job for tomorrow is to clean out the one I have now, I notice that it's running at higher than normal temperatures the means the radiators are plugged up with dog hair. LOL

One of the reasons I always turn my computer off when I'm not using it is because it sucks in fuz whenever it's running.

Since my eyes are getting worse I may go for a UHD monitor this time too.

At my age every computer I buy may be my last do I'm not going to scrimp.

I never have more than a half dozen icons on my desktop, other than the ones on my RocketDock bar.

I'm still having a few issues with Anniversary, one being that it underlines words that I spell wrong in this forum, but when I right click on them it won't open a menu and show me the correct spelling.

The right click does work most other places now.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
Good to hear your plans for upgrading.:teeth: I'd be interesting in seeing the reveal photo after you get it built. ;) It's always fun to swap stories. :cool2:

You remember a while back, I was asking a bunch of questions about what hardware I need for a proposed new gaming rig I'm going to be building with my Adult son? Well, after lots and lots of E-mails and discussions, we decided on a case for the build, and Í finally bit the bullet and ordered it!! Hooray! I'll post the link here: Amazon.com: Apevia X-Trooper X-TRP-RD ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case with 5 Fans, Large Red Tinted Side Window, Top 2 x USB3.0/2 x USB2.0/1 x eSATA/2 x HD Audio Ports- Red: Computers & Accessories
Looking forward to getting the Video card and Motherboard next. Do you have any suggestions on which I should get first? I of course want the GPU card to fit on the new Mobo; is it best to do it this way? Or perhaps the other way round?

New case should be here by Aug. 18th. It will be my first custom build since 1998.:skull:

Marc

Quote "I'm still having a few issues with Anniversary, one being that it underlines words that I spell wrong in this forum, but when I right click on them it won't open a menu and show me the correct spelling."
I wonder if that is an anniversary problem, or a confliction on the forum. It works perfectly for me.

thos

Untitled.png

Just had a quick look around. I think your spelling problem may be associated with the browser. I use IE as my default, and it works there. Opera and Envy did not produce the right click menu..

Looking forward to getting the Video card and Motherboard next. Do you have any suggestions on which I should get first?
As most GPU's fit most motherboards personally I'd source your motherboard first. As RGB is becoming all the rage you may want to buy a GPU to suit?

As for Anniversary, I didn't want to bother with the upgrade via Windows Update as i think it's an awful process that basically gives you a buggy counterpart of the os that should be installed. Instead I grabbed a copy straight from MSDN and clean installed.
Some bits I like, some bit's like the Start menu rehash I dislike but generally i do like it. The install process has been tweaked and is even faster than before although not by much.

Nice, very nice, so far..

Back