Windows 7 annoying issue - keeps "resuming" windows on wakeup

GoTTi

i have a dell laptop with win7 ultimate on it. when i am done with the laptop i put the thing to sleep, never shutting down. lately, i noticed the laptop keeps showing me a Resuming Windows screen when i hit the power button now. its never done that before. prior to this new thing, i would turn the laptop on and when it woke up it would go right to the user login page for the windows splash, but now it shows the resuming page first, then the little scrolling bar, then it goes to the page.

any idea what this is all about?

Sleep is a hybrid mode of the old "Standby" and "Hibernation". After a certain amount of time in Standby, the OS will make a determination, based on several factors, as to whether to actually hibernate the computer.

Part 1.
When the computer is in standby mode -- power is still going to the RAM.
When it is in hibernation, the entire contents of your RAM modules are stored to a file on the primary hard drive and then reloaded when you turn the computer back on (this is also known as a system state restore). No power is used in hibernation mode.

Part 2.
What you need to do, in order to prevent the "Resuming Windows..." is turn off hibernation. This can be done in the advanced section of Power Options in the control panel. Take a look around a bit, and if you can't find it let me know. I will try to post a screen shot or two to show you exactly what you are looking for.

If you can understand that hibernation and standby are two seperate things, now combined into one as "Sleep Mode", you will see that this is what is happening. First, the computer is going into standby, then after a certain duration of time it decides, ok, GoTTi isn't coming back for awhile - go into hibernation to save power.

Sleep is a hybrid mode of the old "Standby" and "Hibernation". After a certain amount of time in Standby, the OS will make a determination, based on several factors, as to whether to actually hibernate the computer.

I found the answer to this problem. After a short time in "standy" the laptop "hibernated" without me knowing it. You have to access "Power options" in the control panel and locate the advanced settings. Here you have to deal with an annoying scroll down and click to expand interface (grr) until you find the option to allow standy to last at least 2800 minutes = 2 days (or whatever you feel is right). After that you can open the lid the next day and your computer will wake up from "Standby". (Now if someone could please tell me how to get rid of the welcome screen on wake, I'd be a happy camper.)

Hi Mike,

i have the same issue but after power on my lappy showing resuming windows forever(3-4 hours now) & still showing the same so how could i access power option in control option & f8 is also not working for me. what to do ? any help would be appreciated.

Thx

Back