Windows 7 Another 64, 32 bit Question

zplugger

I'm running windows 7 32 bit now with a intel Q9650 and it is running great. I had no problems with drivers on this 32 bit install. Would I see a performance increase by going 64 bit, is it worth the trouble too go 64 bit. I use the computer for general home use and some video decodeing. I just not sure if it worth the trouble since I'm running ok now. Would do you think about this?

I perceive some increase going from 32bit to 64bit but it is not a vast difference except the CPU is not working as hard and therefore runs cooler even if on Hi Performance it runs cooler than on the 32 bit version of
Windows 7 working on balanced. I like it for what I do. Many but not all things are compatible with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 at this time.
I am looking forward to using everything on 64 bit Windows 7. My system statistics using the Windows experience performance test shows a much higher rating than it did in Vista. My guess is things are tweeked a bit better and drivers are better for Windows 7 64 bit.

Last edited:
I'm running windows 7 32 bit now with a intel Q9650 and it is running great. I had no problems with drivers on this 32 bit install. Would I see a performance increase by going 64 bit, is it worth the trouble too go 64 bit. I use the computer for general home use and some video decodeing. I just not sure if it worth the trouble since I'm running ok now. Would do you think about this?

If your running good now, and have no plans on upgrading to 4gb of ram, then you probably should stay. The CPU performance may be marginally better, but it does require more ram (1gb for 32 bit, 2gb for 64 bit).

If your planning on upgrading to 4gb or more in the near future, then you'll want to go with 64 bit to utilize all you ram.

Bubbalou
Comparing the experience scores between Vista and Windows 7 is useless because they use different benchmarks for their results.
Joe

Hey Drew,.

Now you have all bases covered and maybe blow the 32-bit away @ some point later on down the road

Maybe when Windows 8 comes out,. there's just not enough 64-bit software out there yet.

Back