Another 64, 32 bit Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by zplugger, Dec 3, 2009.

1. zplugger

zplugger New Member

I'm running windows 7 32 bit now with a intel Q9650 and it is running great. I had no problems with drivers on this 32 bit install. Would I see a performance increase by going 64 bit, is it worth the trouble too go 64 bit. I use the computer for general home use and some video decodeing. I just not sure if it worth the trouble since I'm running ok now. Would do you think about this?

2. Bubbalou

Bubbalou New Member

I perceive some increase going from 32bit to 64bit but it is not a vast difference except the CPU is not working as hard and therefore runs cooler even if on Hi Performance it runs cooler than on the 32 bit version of
    Windows 7 working on balanced. I like it for what I do. Many but not all things are compatible with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 at this time.
    I am looking forward to using everything on 64 bit Windows 7. My system statistics using the Windows experience performance test shows a much higher rating than it did in Vista. My guess is things are tweeked a bit better and drivers are better for Windows 7 64 bit.

#2 Bubbalou, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  3. BigFeet

BigFeet Senior Member

If your running good now, and have no plans on upgrading to 4gb of ram, then you probably should stay. The CPU performance may be marginally better, but it does require more ram (1gb for 32 bit, 2gb for 64 bit).

If your planning on upgrading to 4gb or more in the near future, then you'll want to go with 64 bit to utilize all you ram.

4. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

Bubbalou
    Comparing the experience scores between Vista and Windows 7 is useless because they use different benchmarks for their results.
    Joe

5. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Hey Drew,.

Maybe when Windows 8 comes out,. there's just not enough 64-bit software out there yet.