Windows 10 Another glitch...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Today I opened my email client, and it was like I just installed it.
All my accounts, mail, and address books were gone.

I had to set it up all over again.

I had had it open earlier and it was all normal.

Along with the sound issues, the fact that my keyboard light don't work, and the fact that it tends to reboot when I shut it down, I'm thinking of restoring back to the previous build and wait for the next update.

I've also had several crashes, something that hasn't happened in years.

I installed Dragon Age Inquisition today one of the biggest installs ever.
It took an hour to install, from 4 DVDs.

It seems to be running fine but I'm afraid I'll have to reinstall it if I reset Windows.

Mike

and the fact that it tends to reboot when I shut it down,
Aah so it's the damn os... I recently bought a new PSU ( My old one died suddenly and so bought Corsair's CX600W. Noisest piece of crap I've bought in years, unfortunately I'm stuck with it for a while) and was wondering if this new issue of a weird reboot when trying to shutdown had anything to do with it or Windows 10. Thankfully you've now answered my question.. :)

Mike, I am like you. I always keep an image of my OSes in case problems arise. But I realized it is not applicable with Win 10. After upgrading to 2nd build, I had all sorts of inexplicable problems and I kept looking for answers until I gave up and tried a clean installation of the 2nd build (I created the ISO myself). Then BAM! All problems are gone!
Different testers have different issues. So, if you guys are having some problems after upgrading to succeeding builds, the best solution is to do a clean install. It's really not fun, but that's just the way it is. Since MS keeps introducing new builds, backup images are useless for Win 10. It's not worth the time trying to find a fix to any Win 10 issues. Most of the time it's not really a bug, Just a corrupted upgrade. Clean installation is the best and easiest solution.
By the way, I don't have any issues after the upgrade to build 9879. But I already created the ISO in case I run into problems.

Last edited:
Confirming badrobot's post. I have been making my own ISOs of the builds, as they came along, except, of course, the Last, Enterprise, which was delivered as an ISO. I have had no problems with the 9879, which could be attributed to the OS.
I haven't read any other posts on forums, regarding the Email Issue. I use MS Live Mail desktop client, and I have a separate mailbox folder where everything is directed..fwiw. I also have this folder constantly backed up. If ever, usually due to my own misuse, I lose any facility in my mail, I redirect to the mailbox and it auto sets up my defaults and accounts. Even for a new, clean installation, the same thing is achieved.

I couldn't be bothered to wait for the new iso and thought I'd create my own. So grabbed the install ESD file (I was using 9879) and created said iso.. Fantastic I thought I'll go right ahead and install this now....

I now find out the install ESD was for the build 9860 and is there I guess if you need to go back from the 9879 build.

Have you guy's actually checked your iso's too? I don't think they will be build 9879 but like mine 9860 unless there are two ESD install files... I only found one.

Hi

I have image files for both the latest and the previous build.
I only make them if everything is working.

The exception is that I made one with my keyboard lights not working, because it has been like that from the start with the latest build.

I'm thinking about going back to 9860 and waiting a while to upgrade again, maybe to the next build.

I've used the image files to fix things that I caused for the most part, just messing around, rolling back my sound drivers etc.

I don't want to do a clean install because I have all my software installed in Windows 10.
It's just too much work.

I'm not quit to that point yet though I'll try a little longer, I'm hoping for a fix for the keyboard lights issue since many people are having this problem.

Mike

I was only thinking about going back until the next build.
I do have a number of issues with this build that I haven't had previously with the earlier builds.

The keyboard lights thing is really annoying, and having my sound quit working a couple of time a day.

But there's nothing that really keeps me from using it, just the way it is except the annoyances.

Have you noticed the lights work if you boot into safe mode.. So it's driver related somewhere along the line..

Hi

I didn't notice that.
I did notice that the keyboard lights work up until the computer boots into Windows so I'm sure you're right and it's a driver issue.

I seems like that should be easy to fix?

Mike

I am at some point going to try and update the keyboard driver to see if it makes any difference.

I also installed my programs on Win 10 but because of the changing builds, I stopped doing it. If I need to do something, I just change boot drive to Win 7. We won"t get updated 3rd party drivers for Win 10. No hardware manufacturer will waste their time re-writing their drivers build after build or while Win 10 is in a preview stage. And I understand that. I try to use Win 10 on a daily basis but I don't waste my time fixing issues like the keyboard light issue. As long as the number keys work I am ok with it. I like Win 10 but I am not 100% relying on it right now. And as I said, some issues are due to flawed uograde. If you are not willing to do a clean install, you won"t be able to get rid some of those issues. Most issues are on the 2nd build upgrade (9841 to 9860). You will just carry those problems over to the next build if you don't do a clean install of the second build. The upgrade to 9879 looks ok so far. No need to do a clean install at this point.

Hi

I tried rolling back the drivers, to the basic keyboard drivers 2006, and that didn't help.
Then I updated them again and it stayed the same.

I didn't have any of the issues I have now with build 9860, in fact everything seems to work pretty well.
But the new build did introduce problems that I didn't see earlier.

Maybe tomorrow I'll roll back to that, and see what happens.

Next year when they come out with the new build I'll clean install and start over.

Mike

I couldn't be bothered to wait for the new iso and thought I'd create my own. So grabbed the install ESD file (I was using 9879) and created said iso.. Fantastic I thought I'll go right ahead and install this now....

I now find out the install ESD was for the build 9860 and is there I guess if you need to go back from the 9879 build.

Have you guy's actually checked your iso's too? I don't think they will be build 9879 but like mine 9860 unless there are two ESD install files... I only found one.

I got curious with this so I plugged in the 9879 USB installer I created last week to verify the build. And it says "Build 9879".

build9879.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks badrobot... you just saved me an hour m8.
No problem.

I went ahead and installed it on a test 80GB drive, and it went flawless. It is indeed 9879.
And as expected, after installation it updated itself online and set my 4 monitors up by itself.

installed9879.jpg

Last edited:
I am a bit behind on this thread?? I downloaded the Enterprise, (Build 9879)which came delivered as an ISO. But, until then, I had built an ISO from the update 9879 ESD. which I did use as a clean install. Not a great deal of difference.
But, from the last posts, am I correct to assume that no one here did download the Enterprise ISO ?? Just curious.

Capture.PNG

Nope. I don't know why but I didn't really bother with Enterprise. Some people prefers it because of the Windows-To-Go feature.

If you can stand the small bit of aggravation Mike, I would recommend patience.
Probably sometime shortly after the New Year, we'll have a new build to play with. At least I hope so.

There seems to be a bit of a left hand/right hand problem in Microsoft on this issue. I read:

This from the top:

"This will be the last new build of the year for Windows Insiders, ... we'll keep
working to build Windows 10 into something that you'll love. We'll have
something new to share with you early in 2015, and don't forget to check out
Insider Hub to stay in touch."

and then this from the gentleman who is apparently in charge of the project.

"Microsoft announced not too long ago that the recently released Windows Technical Preview build would be sent out to those in the slow ring soon, and will arrive with a number of bug fixes to help stabilize the operating system. The company claims that crash data from those in the fast ring has helped Microsoft in identifying the many problems this build suffered from.
In this case, Windows 10 build 9879 was released to those on the fast ring not too long ago, and has since been identified to have some issues that need to be resolved. Luckily, those on the slow ring will be receiving this build with less issues or bugs to worry about. "

This apparently means, as read, that there will be two builds 9879, but different???

It seems that if you are in the fast lane, you are merely being used as the Guinea pig for the slow lane?

I wonder why I got build 9860 then? I obviously used the wrong ESD file but I had only one there... Weird...

Anyway the point is moot as the new version of 9879 is being released next week.

Last edited:
Back