Windows Vista Another reason why your glad you bought Vista

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Check out this link for a small article numbering Vista's vulnerabilities in the first year compared to XP. Vista of course comes out on top with having around half of the vulnerabilities that XP had.
Fudzilla - Vista more secure than XP

Judging by your sig, you certainly have the resources a plenty :cool:

It is interesting how we all have such different experiences with Vista. Over the last year or whatever, people have complained about driver support but I find Vista has much better driver support out of the box than with XP. I just had to install Vista on a 4 year old desktop and it was amazing how at first XP could not find the RAID or the add-on IDE board or whatever but Vista found everything right away. It is much less headaches but yes, it can eat up resources.

Looks like your doin' purdy good yourself :D

:cool: I built it last year and it does ok performance wise... Vista runs really well as most of the components are or were brand new. When I'm changing movies into MP4 or music into MP3 it's pretty fast plus the 8800 card is just great for games even though it's a 320MB (I only use a res of 1024x768 so it's not really an issue). Crysis, which is the bad ass game which makes most rigs buckle, plays very smooth on 'high' settings and looks amazing in DX10..
Saying all this though, your rig is pretty awesome, you got some overclocking going on there? I can't remember what that chip defaults to .. I bet you get some good figures in 3d 06? I get around 11000 depending on drivers, let me know what your getting..

:cool: you got some overclocking going on there? I can't remember what that chip defaults to .. I bet you get some good figures in 3d 06? I get around 11000 depending on drivers, let me know what your getting..

I started on it last April with a LOT of issues but finally got it ALMOST like I want it... LOL
I'm OC ing Just a lil bit I'm running it @ 3199... stock clock is 2666
My best 3DMark06 score was 12697 I held the #1 slot for about 3 monts (with comparable setups) but I don't look into their scoring too much..too many people lining their pockets to tip the scale in their direction ;)

Have you ever tried prime benchmark? I WAS #10 out of about 10,000 entries I thought that was pritty good, at the time.
PrimeBenchmark_10th.jpg

Vista is a resource HOG... but you know.... Resources are much cheaper than when xp came out. So... Vista is only a resource hog for memory. Aside from that.. what is 15gig out of 250gig? a 6% space? for the most important program in your puter?

03hdfatboy, yup as I thought, nice system. I haven't tried the Prime bench and will do when I get round to it.
It's true what you say though, to get a system, overclocked or not, running how you want it and totally stable does take a little time. It's really worth the effort though and I think thats where many users fall down. How many times do you see in forums, users having all sorts of weird problems.. If only they took the time to get their system 'right' in the first place half these problems would never appear..

The main issue I have with my system is ME :eek: I can NEVER leave it alone, I'm always trying to make it better..just like my poor Moto Razr V3i...I lost it to the mod monster yesterday :( I was :cough: I mean he was installing a new red body and damaged the super thin cable that runs through the hinges... now the screen don't work :frown: but the phone looks fanstic and still works ya just can't see what is on the screen. I loved that phone it was modded to the hilt with some sweet software, hex edits and custom themes. Oh well I guess I have to see what I can do to new V3xx I got comming in a few days :D

Homage to the eternal tweaker! I'm pretty much the same, if there's a way I can make my rig, or anything I own, go faster, work better or just 'be a little extra' then I'm gonna try and do it. As you point out though, it has it's pitfalls and I've ruined .... er learnt my lesson with many items I've managed to unmake better lol.

Homage to the eternal tweaker! I'm pretty much the same, if there's a way I can make my rig, or anything I own, go faster, work better or just 'be a little extra' then I'm gonna try and do it. As you point out though, it has it's pitfalls and I've ruined .... er learnt my lesson with many items I've managed to unmake better lol.

LMAO.. I know what you mean. I do it just for the fact that when someone sees my rig or my phone or even my raggedy 03 H-D they are like THAT IS SICK :eek: Where 'ja get it? and I'm like..get it hell I built it! :D But as you said I have killed a few things in the process of moddin' it but oh well just think of the things that ya made better or just different cuz you tried something.
I get to do that at work and get paid to do it :cool:

I see your an Electrician but do you get to mess with computers or something? Whatever it is, it sounds cool ... I'd love to have a job customizing and building wildly overclocked rigs.. Now that would have some job satisfaction!
We should have a overclocked section for this forum? Then again I think most users that frequent don't have much interest in this area... I could be very wrong tho'. Hardware is more and more being sold with overclocking in mind. Totally different to say 4yrs ago or even 2yrs ago. Overclocking then was considered to be some dark arcane art (or maybe thats me giving it some romantic moniker lol) you get my drift though?

What really amazes me is how short the general public's memory is. I have used Windows since version 3.0. EVERY SINGLE VERSION HAS HAD DEPLOYMENT ISSUES!!! XP, 2000, 95 (and 98/Millenium iterations), 3.11, 3.1, and 3.0 had driver issues galore upon release. I spent 20 hours on a 95 machine once upon a time trying to get it to play nice with legacy hardware (Pentium 75). I did it but my forehead was sore due to constant smacking on the desk. XP was AWFUL at release and mediocre at SP1. SP2 really made the OS shine.

Vista, IMHO, was the best OS at release PROVIDED you had the hardware. However, wasn't that true for most of the previous releases as well?

It is interesting how we all have such different experiences with Vista. Over the last year or whatever, people have complained about driver support but I find Vista has much better driver support out of the box than with XP. I just had to install Vista on a 4 year old desktop and it was amazing how at first XP could not find the RAID or the add-on IDE board or whatever but Vista found everything right away. It is much less headaches but yes, it can eat up resources.

Hi Winnebago, I certainly agree with what your saying about deployment and its inherent problems. I also think the IT world was very different back then. Far more people now have a pc and are online. We've also had the advent of '2.0' web technology (a rather misguided term really).. Look how many users are into 'FaceBook' and the like? I know we had stuff like messenger and Yahoo before all this but it never caught on like these latest 'Fads' have. So has computer literacy risen with the rise of new users? I think not.

I see your an Electrician but do you get to mess with computers or something? Whatever it is, it sounds cool ... I'd love to have a job customizing and building wildly overclocked rigs.. Now that would have some job satisfaction!
We should have a overclocked section for this forum? Then again I think most users that frequent don't have much interest in this area... I could be very wrong tho'. Hardware is more and more being sold with overclocking in mind. Totally different to say 4yrs ago or even 2yrs ago. Overclocking then was considered to be some dark arcane art (or maybe thats me giving it some romantic moniker lol) you get my drift though?

Well a "Maintenance Electrician" has to mess with computers nowadays or you'd be out of a job! Every piece of equipment we have at work is controlled by a PLC (programmable logic controller) like a small computer. So yes I get to play with computers at work. My wife said she would not even want to look at one when she gets home if she messed with them all day LOL but all it makes me want to do is come home and get on one with some horsepower!!! :D

I agree on the overclocked thread. And a hardware thread.

is this where we post our rig stats ??/ ok vista is nice blah blah blah , with drivers out of the box blah blah blah , sp1 working with pembros bios emu blah blah blah.

my baby -:
Asus striker extreme
intell E6600 2.4 running at 3.3 (overclocked)
crucial ballistix tracer pc2-6400 800mhz running at 734 (underclocked) 4gb
4 x ST380817AS 80gb hard drives 2x2 raid striped (vista ult installed on raid)
XFX Geforce 8800 GTX XT
NEC ND4571a DVD-r-rw etc
creative X-fi gamer edition
logitech G15 keyboard V2
logitech G5 mouse
logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound with DD DTS THX etc etc
Enermax galaxy 1000w psu
and oh to hell with it cant be botherd to list any more !

oooooh still using a floppy tho !!!!!!

I like Vista (obviously) but still feel that, like XP, we won't see it's full potential until the second service pack. Hopefully by then software dev's will be fully up to speed and I think this is when the multi-core system will really start to shine.

Back