Windows 7 Another thing that I find really helpful for me!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I love applying custom icons to my folders in Windows Explorer, it's amazing how much this helps my find things quickly.

I'm 73 and my eyes aren't what they once were, (I think it's time for a new set of computer glasses) I don't like trying to read all that little type in Windows Explorer.
Plus I like to lean back in my chair in a sort of supine position so I'm not that close to the monitor.

I don't do it for every folder but the things that I often have to find are visible and stand out from the rows of yellow folders.

Here is a shot of my D:\ drive.

Windows Explorer.JPG

It used to be worse, I've compacted the list by making folders with names like Computer Related, and Graphic Design related, which have multiple folders under them, cutting the list down by about 50%.

Some of these sub folders also have icons that stand out.

Mike

Last edited:
And people call me an "old fart" and "grandpa"! :p

I will have to keep this tip in mind. I find my eyes change from time to time (Type 2 Diabetes). This might be just what the doctor ordered, thanks.

I'm 74 years old and wear glasses. I have a habit of sitting too far from the monitor to focus. I solved the problem by buying a Vizio 26" monitor and it's so big I can increase the size of the font. This allows me to sit back and focus on the monitor without any eye strain.

Hi

I have a 24" monitor, I almost wish it would wear out so I could justify buying a 30" one.
One of these days I may break down and do it anyway.

I have had this one since I bought my previous computer but it still looks as good as new.
It's a Dell Ultra-sharp and cost a lot of money back when I bought it.

Mike

Back