Windows 8 antivirus

silver fox

good morning from sunny spain
my question is i want a good antivirus for my windows 8 laptop
can anyone give me a good suggestion please
regards
silver fox

Before the answers come pouring in - Do you want to pay for a full version, or just the free, basic antivirus protection? If the last, then the built in one, "Defender", does a respectable job.

Hola davehc
Thanks for your reply
If defender does the job i will stick with it
What other one will do at a cost
Regards
Silver fox

Hi

I use the native Windows Defender along with CCleaner, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and I don't have any problems and haven't for years.

All of these have free versions that do a good job.

I run CCleaner every day, Malwarebytes a couple of times a week, and SuperAntiSpyware about once a week.

None of these have a lot of impact on computer performance.

Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download

SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fan of Defender it doesn't do well in indepentent testing. It will also be another built in target in Windows for hackers to exploit.
Joe

I am a big fan of Defender so far, it is doing better than other options I've used in the past with Windows 7 and before that. I have read the reviews based on the independent testing, and was astounded to be honest. Numbers don't always translate into real world experience, and I guess this is just one of those cases.

I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by the previous poster stating they read the review referred to and don't like it based off that (at least that was all that was explained).

He does have a good point though about it being a great target for future exploits, I'm not sure anyone will be able to succeed, but there is always that chance.

I tried it and didn't like. It didn't update often enough to suit me and stopped on a few occasions so I dumped it for something reliable.
Joe

Hi again, silverfox. You haven't yet had an answer to your question regarding paid for programs.

It can often come down to a personal choice. But there have to be considerations for resource usage and ease of use. Your best bet is to browse for articles on the subject, study them and decide. One point. The paid versions include, as a rule of thumb, xtras such as Firewalls and other goodies. But keep in mind that paid or free, each program will be using the same basic antivirus scan mechanism, and from, the same data base for that particular organisation.
So if you feel the need for those "xtras", then, do browse and decide. Only because it was free through my resources, I used Kaspersky for a while. It proved to be quite heavy on resource usage but apparently did the job. Oddly, when I removed it and put Defender back on, Defender found a Trojan on my computer!
Avira, I used from XP days and into Vista. Also a good paid for program.

Have a look here for price, facility and performance comparison.
Best Antivirus Software for Windows 8 2013 | Windows 8 Antivirus Software Comparisons - TopTenREVIEWS

P.S. fwiw. I have had no hangups with Defender, and I receive notification of definition updates daily.

hola
many thanks to those who replied to my question
as there are so many things to think about i will stay with Defender
for now and perhaps when i get tome to study i will change my antivirus
once again many thanks
Silver Fox

Back