Windows 7 Any downloaded program wont run :(

Nemo

Hey all,

Sorry I'm new to the forum, hopefully this is the right place to put this.

I've just upgraded my Dell XPS 420 to windows 7-32bit Home Premium from vista and now any time I try and install a program from the internet (even things like iTunes or Firefox) I'm running into problems.

Once I've downloaded any set-up file I click on it and one of two things happens. Either the user account asks if I want to allow the program access. Once I click yes it thinks about it for a bit and then nothing happens. Or the program's blocked because it doesn't have a valid digital signature.

I've tried running them as administrator and in compatability mode. I've also tried unblocking them in the properties and even re-downloading and installing without any user account settings or firewall but nothing works.

I even thought it might be a bad install of Windows so I formatted my hard drive and tried again but still no luck.

Someone did tell me it might be a DEP problem because if I check the event viewer there's loads of errors, but I'm afraid I don't actually know what that all means :p

Can anyone please help, my computers basically useless right now :(
Thanks
Nemo

Have you checked the Dell site?

If you have now done a clean install, it should not be a hold over from Vista, but what programs have you added since you did the install? Maybe you are using an anti-virus or some other program that is not really Win 7 compatible.

Hi Saltgrass,

Thanks for getting back to me. It's a completly new install, I formatted the HD just to be safe. Also the only program I've managed to install (thanks to this issue) is my wireless driver. I know it's not completly compatible but it seems to run ok through the wizard.

I've checked with Dell but they're being less than helpful. The problem actually started when the HD wiped itself a while back and I had to re-install Vista. As the PC was under warranty Dell replaced the HD but when the software wouldn't load properly they said that wasn't a warrenty issue. I'm not sure if there's any significance that the problems happened the same on Vista and 7 but I've changed the software and even tried installing on a seperate new HD but nothing seems to work.

Cheers
Nemo

A hard drive "wiping" itself is not a normal occurrence. Do you have any details about the prior situation?

Have you changed anything in the Bios or changed cables or drive jumpers? Is your only hard drive a SATA drive?

You might try opening an administrative command window and run SFC /scannow. If it finds any corruption, it might show another problem still happening.

Running a memory test might also be appropriate.

Do you show any error or warning messages in the event viewer?

Back