Windows 7 APC BX1000G

seekermeister

Honorable Member
It appears that this UPS is failing, because it has started rapidly switching back and forth, between the status of being on AC and on battery. I've checked the power connection, and the AC itself is normal, so I need to RMA it. However, for some reason, the copy of the sales receipt I had stored on the computer isn't usable. I contacted the seller and requested a new copy, but I seriously doubt that they will provide one, because it has been over two years since the purchase., Which means digging through boxes of papers, hoping I can find the hard copy, but I'm not too optimistic.

Therefore I'm probably going to have to buy a new one, or attempt to fix this one. It would be easier if it simply lost power altogether, because then I would simply look for a fuse, but I'm wondering if anyone know of a possible reason which I might be able to repair, that would cause it keep cycling on power?

How old is the UPS? The batteries do go bad...that would be my guess.

It shouldn't be the battery, the unit is about 2 years old. The battery should last at least 3 years.

I just ran a self test with PowerChute, and according to it the battery is good and the unit passed. That seems to only leave two possibilities, either there is some kind of internal failure or the household current is fluctuating. However there is no indication of AC fluctuations as far as something that would effect light from lamps or fixtures. The sensitivity is still set at the default settings of 139v for high and 88v for low. If the current was fluctuating outside of the range, I would think I would see the lights flicker.

Almost didn't relocate this thread, because I posted in software, instead of hardware as I intended to. It's weird, because from a bit after my last post, the thing has continued operating as it should. I have no idea of why it was acting as it did, unless a bug crawled into it and got electrocuted, and it took that much time for the remains to burn away.

It just started acting up again, which I find strange, because of the 2 month interval since the last time. This episode was the same, except that the cycling was somewhat slower. I reset PowerChute to a lower sensitivity and it seems to have stopped, but that would make it appear that there were actual power fluctuations coming from the outlet, yet if that were true it would seem that they would be noticeable on the room lights, and it wasn't. I seriously doubt that a second bug got executed in exactly the same fashion, so it would seem that something is afoot that I don't understand?

Back
Top Bottom