Windows 7 Applications don't open, but appear in the task manager

Veringer

Hi,

I have searched this forum yesterday for several hours but could not find any one with the same problem as I have.

I will try to describe the problem. I have bought my computer (desktop PC) in january this year and everything worked fine. No crashes, no freezing etc. Several weeks ago the problem first came up: after working for a while (doesn't matter on which program) I can't open any other programs any more. When I start for example Word you see something is happening (hourglass running for a second) then nothing. The window does not open. When I check in the task manager, Word is shown as running process. The same counts for every program I want to open. Only rebooting the system helps. After reboot I can open all programs I want to. But it happens from time to time (not always!) that after a while the problem occurs again. Yesterday it occured about 4 times.
Before rebooting I have to end the not working proces in the task manager. Otherwise it is impossible to shut down the computer. It stucks then at "logging off" (sorry I have a Dutch Windows so I don't know exactly how this is called in english. In Dutch it is "Afmelden"). All I can do then is push the power button for 5 seconds to shut the computer down.

I hope you can help me as this is making me crazy!

Sorry for my bad English, I am from the Netherlands.

Veringer

Several weeks ago the problem first came up: after working for a while (doesn't matter on which program) I can't open any other programs any more. When I start for example Word you see something is happening (hourglass running for a second) then nothing. The window does not open.

Can you think of any changes to your system before this problem ? Such as new software, drivers, new (usb) hardware, registry tweaks ? Have you scanned the system for malware ?

Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums. :)

It is also possible there is some nasties that are running in the background - I mean viruses or spyware.
Have you run any checks for such things yet?

I run a system check on a regular basis and have checked all hard drives recently with Avira Premium Security Suite.

I have bought an external HDD not so long ago (Western Digital) but I am not sure if the problem occured afterwards. The HDD is connected via USB.

Edit: these are the results of my system check.

Avira found nothing but gives two warnings:

Object
[WARNUNG] Die Datei konnte nicht gelesen werden!
C:\Users\V Petrij\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\HN7Q31JO\Firefox%20Setup%203.6[2].exe
[WARNUNG] Die Datei konnte nicht gelesen werden!

(Which means that the file could not be read).

Last edited:
Were you trying to install Firefox? I have the same file in a different directory, maybe a download did not complete. Perhaps moving the file to the Temporary Internet Files directory would allow it to be read. I suppose there is also a possibility the file might be corrupted and is being left in that folder for a reason. If that were the case, maybe deleting it would be best, but I can't say for sure.

Just in case Firefox is still trying to install, is there anything in the task manager that looks like it might be related or is using a lot of CPU power?

No, I have Firefox already installed. It works fine. There is of course an update from time to time but everything works fine, always.
I'll check the task manager later. But today the problem has not yet occurred...

Edit: there is nothing unusual in te task manager. Firefox an Mozilla Thunderbird use the biggest part of RAM, but not very much. CPU usage is about 5% max.

Last edited:
Back