mparsons1997

I have an HP Pavilion laptop (dv7-3085dx), running W7 pro 64 bit. For months I had problems with selecting and uploading images. I thought this was just a problem with some older apps until I got a new Win7 PC at work and have not had these problems.
Issues history:
Graphics s/w
- A free version of Corel Paint shop v2 was included with the laptop and I had an older version version. Both apps would work briefly and then crash while working with images

Uploading images to a webapp
- our site has a web app for entering stories, along with an image. I couldn't test this app from my laptop as almost every time I tried to browse to select an image to upload, the screen would freeze and a browser not responding message would appear. This would happen with IE8, Firefox 3.5+, and Chrome.
- I am working on a Silverlight app that also has a component for uploading images. Same problem. I thought I had a possible symptom when I tried to browse and use a non-image related folder. An image folder like My Pictures would default to thumbnail view and crash quickly. I was able successfully upload image few times from other folders - for a short time and then started to get the same crashes.

Outlook
- same app not responding message trying to attach an image to an email

Word
- same app not responding message trying to add an image to a Word template (see attached)

I installed the Windows Virtual PC XP mode and do NOT get these errors - so the issues are not application related but appear to be O/S related.

This is very frustrating, as this doesn't seem to be a common problem. Is there a patch needed, what can I do to diagnose this further?

Attachments

Solution
It sounds like you're experiencing some specific issues related to image handling and uploading on your HP Pavilion laptop running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Since the problem doesn't occur on your new Windows 7 PC at work, it might be specific to your laptop setup. Here are some steps you can take to diagnose and potentially resolve these issues:

Steps for Diagnosing Image and Upload Issues on Windows 7:​

1. Update Graphics Drivers: Check and update your graphics drivers. Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can often cause issues with image-related tasks. Visit HP's official website to download and install the latest graphics drivers for your specific laptop model.
  2. Check for Windows Updates: Ensure...
It sounds like you're experiencing some specific issues related to image handling and uploading on your HP Pavilion laptop running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Since the problem doesn't occur on your new Windows 7 PC at work, it might be specific to your laptop setup. Here are some steps you can take to diagnose and potentially resolve these issues:

Steps for Diagnosing Image and Upload Issues on Windows 7:​

1. Update Graphics Drivers: Check and update your graphics drivers. Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can often cause issues with image-related tasks. Visit HP's official website to download and install the latest graphics drivers for your specific laptop model.
  2. Check for Windows Updates: Ensure that your Windows 7 operating system is up to date. Sometimes, Microsoft releases patches or updates that can resolve compatibility issues. Go to Control Panel > Windows Update to check for and install any available updates.
  3. Run System File Checker (SFC): Use the System File Checker tool to scan and repair corrupted system files. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following command:
    Code:
     sfc /scannow
  4. Check for Malware: Perform a full system scan with your antivirus software to check for any malware or viruses that could be causing these issues.
  5. Check Event Viewer: Look for any error messages or warnings in the Windows Event Viewer related to the crashes. This can provide more detailed information on what might be causing the problem.
  6. Disable Add-ons and Extensions: Disable any unnecessary browser add-ons, extensions, or plugins that could be interfering with image-related tasks in your web browsers.
  7. Clear Browser Cache: Clear the cache and cookies in your web browsers to ensure there are no conflicts with previously stored data.
  8. Test in Safe Mode: Boot your laptop into Safe Mode and see if the issues persist. This can help determine if any third-party software is causing the problem.
  9. Check Disk for Errors: Use the built-in Windows Disk Check tool to scan and fix any errors on your hard drive. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run:
    Code:
     chkdsk /f /r

Additional Considerations:​

• Consider a Clean Windows Install: If after trying the above steps the issues persist, consider performing a clean installation of Windows 7 on your laptop. This can help eliminate any software-related issues.
    • Backup Important Data: Before making any significant changes to your system, be sure to back up your important data to prevent any data loss. By following these steps, you can hopefully diagnose and resolve the image handling and upload issues you are facing on your HP Pavilion laptop running Windows 7. Let me know if you need further assistance or encounter any specific errors during the troubleshooting process.

Solution