Windows 8 apps

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Win 8.1
When I click on start>small arrow pointing down>apps which I read, I look in task manager after and they are all there under processes. It seems they slow me down. Once I remove each the pc is active again. Is this supposed to happen or are these apps supposed to somehow purge so they do not slow one down?
Is there an adjustment I should have made?

In Windows 8.1 to close an app (modern / metro apps) you need to grab it by the title bar and drag it to the bottom of your screen and wait for it to flip and then let go.
That action should close the app completely and they should not then appear in taskmanager.

I tied that to no avail. Maybe I have it wrong.
I click start>little up side down arrow and see a lot of apps like news weather etc.
Where do I grab it to end the task? I open it to use it and when done cannot find a bar either on the open app or the icon. I still have to go in task manger. I don't mind doing this but I would think the system is better off not running 7 or 8 extra apps in the background.

Last edited:
Where do I grab it to end the task? I open it to use it and when done cannot find a bar either on the open app or the icon
Hovering your mouse pointer near the top of the app / screen should reveal the app's title bar.

This where I am and hovering eludes me.

Attachments

• pointer.png
    pointer.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 311
I look in task manager after and they are all there under processes. It seems they slow me down. Once I remove each the pc is active again
Based on that....
I assumed that you were elsewhere but even from that page just hold the "Alt" key on your keyboard while tapping the "Tab" key and cycle through the background apps and applications that are running.
When you stop (by letting go of the "Alt" key on a particular running app, it should appear on your screen at which point you can close it by dragging it to the bottom of the screen and waiting for it to flip and let go.

There is also a feature called "Switcher" which can sometimes (not always reliably) be produced by hovering your mouse pointer in the top left of your desktop screen and then moving it downwards to reveal background applications that are running.

You can also use the right click "switch to" option in taskmanager to get to the running background apps.

When I did the alt tab task, all I saw was a green screen.
I will just avoid these and if/when used, remove the residuals with task manager. Thank you for your cooperation.

When I did the alt tab task, all I saw was a green screen.
From your "green screen" click the "Weather" app.
With that open, you should be able to grab it by the top "title bar", and drag it to the bottom of your screen. Hold it there briefly and you will notice it flip. At that point simply release your left mouse button.
Check taskmanager, it should disappear in 10 or 15 seconds.
IF you use another method to close the app, like clicking the "X" or just dragging it off the bottom of your screen without allowing time for it to flip, then it will remain in taskmanager as you're experiencing

I finally got it. I clicked the mall icon then it opened. After grabbing it at the top I tried to conventionally drag it to the bottom but it seemed not to go and split in two screens. Finally I grabbed the open weather app dragged it to the bottom [ it disappeared for a moment then it flipped and disappeared. After 15 seconds, it was not in the task manager.
Whew!
That was an exercise. I hope Win 10 makes it easier. I like to use these apps but was not appreciating them because of the initial issue.
At any rate most people would have quit on me long ago so thank you very much for your patience. and help.
Peter

Yes in Windows 10 it seems that you can simply click the "X" in the top right hand corner as the apps in Windows 10 run "windowed" rather than full screen.

Back