Windows 7 appsvc.exe?

kyler211

my anti-virus (Trend Micro Titanium)
has been blocking a process called "appsvc.exe" saying it is a "TROJ_HIDEFIL.BMC"
i have located it but i cannot delete it saying that i need permission from my user to delete it. I am currently logged on as my user but i am unable to delete it saying the same error message. i have also tried to use the hidden administrator account using "net user administrator /active:yes"
but that account also needs permission from my user.
it constantly tries to open every 5 seconds and i cannot stop it. i can end its process from the task manager but it still continues to try starting itself up again. please help.

Try booting into safe mode and suggest you first try renaming it to "appsvc.exe.bak" rather than deleting it just in case you find you need to restore it.

Agree with patcooke, plus:

Not all that easy to define the problem. It can be a Trojan, but most likely it's not a hostile one. It's likely to be connected to a new driver installation, that has gone wrong and / or has an attachment to it = when you install something, you get some extra stuff, mainly something that collects information; not dangerous, but unwanted, thus considered a Trojan. And your Anti Virus reacts to it.

I would suggest that you check latest updates, uninstall them, and reinstalling them be careful with any additions that may come along.

it still said the same error message. i still need permission from my user.
how do i uninstall my latest updates?

it is also in a hidden folder that i cannot see even if the show all folders option is ticked, i see the other hidden folders except the folder it is in, so the only way i can access it is manually typing the directory on the address bar

Simplest act would be to run a system restore back to some date before the problem arose. First make sure that your system is set to disallow automatic updates by telling you that updates are available but allowing you to manually select which to install.

my system has not updated anything on the day that the problem starting appearing (which is this morning)
how do i do a system restore?

Control panel, system and security, advanced system settings, system protection, system restore.

The mbam.exe should be in C:\Program Files (x86) \ Malwarebytes Anti Malware, or something. You may have installed it in the wrong place?

Extra note: Windows 7 is secure for several hours, without extra Anti Virus. Turn off your Trend, and any other security programs you may have, reboot, be sure they aren't running, and try System Restore. By the way, you shouldn't have several securities running.

Later on, reboot, and start Trend. Most evidently, I think, you have a collision in your system.

Last edited:
what are the chances that it will not harm my pc or take any valuable information such as credit card info/internet cache's/account details?
if the chances of it not doing anything like that are high then i will just exclude it from my anti-virus so i dont get those annoying pop up messages

That would be dangerous and very inadvisable when we have yet to identify if it is a threat. Have you still not managed to run mbam? If you are still having problems there we must pursue them to run a full malware check. I installed correctly you should have a folder called malwarebytes in either your program files or program files (x86) folder on your C drive.

So you download mbam, installed it and then ran it? At which point does "it" say it cannot find it?

Back