Windows 7 are these temps too hot??

Brendan Calkins

I have a toshiba satellite c650 on idle i get Idle.jpg

when playing minecraft i get running minecraft(game).png

are these temps fine?

thanks!

If your not getting any over heating problems then your fine.

My temps are normally around 30C, so they are high compared to what i am used to.

Thanks guys it was also really hot when I did thoes test's I did them againe when my room was a little cooler and on idle I got down to 42-43c

30°C is abnormally low. That's not a bad thing - by any means, but to put that into human perspective, it's only 86°F, not too far above normal room temperatures. I don't even begin to worry about my CPU temps until they touch and stay at or above 60°C. And even then, for current CPUs, that's 10°C below "start to panic" stage.

As noted in my sig, heat is the bane of all electronics. Unless crushed by a hammer, when electronic devices fail, it is because they could no longer handle the current flowing through them, got too hot and burned "open", stopping the circuit. Natural aging causes all devices to weaken. That's inevitable. Too much heat can increases aging. A short in the circuit, for example, can create excessive current in that circuit - until something can no longer handle the heat, and blows. Hopefully a "fusible link" or circuit breaker and not something critical.

But that does not mean cooler increases life. Electronics are designed to operate normally when operating in its specified operating "range". Even 70°C for today's CPUs is not considered "hot". Very warm maybe, and "warmer" than I would accept personally and I would be looking to add another fan, or get out my cleaning supplies. 30 is great! But 45 or even sustained 55°C does not indicate a problem, or a decreased life span.

Frankly, I have a pile of old CPUs that are still perfectly good because the platforms beneath them (the motherboards) failed, or more typically, technology advances made me want to upgrade to a different motherboard that supported a different CPU. My point is, CPUs are very reliable and usually quite capable at keeping themselves from burning up (by cutting speed or by shutting down completely). Even most motherboard BIOS Menus have CPU protection features. If you are not operating constantly at or very near that self-protection threshold, there is no reason to suspect your CPU will fry. The number one reason CPUs prematurely fail is suspected to be ESD - due to improper handling/poor ESD control by the user.

Also there are MANY other heat sensitive and generating devices, many surrounding the CPU socket to take advantage of the [anticipated OEM] CPU cooling fan, and they too must have good cooling support (another solid reason to stick with OEM coolers for your PCs).

It is important to note it is the case's responsibility to bring cool air to the CPU's fan, and then to extract the heat after the CPU tosses it up into the flow and out the case. Cooling is a challenge for PCs which have room for lot's of large fans, so notebook cases, by their nature of being compact housings for powerful computers, are handicapped from the start. This is why CPUs destined for notebooks are "mobile" CPUs - with enhanced thermal protection features. Notebook cases, and their limited cooling (and lousy access for cleaning) capabilities, are also why notebooks are not good gaming machines, or "desktop replacements" - in spite of what notebook marketing weenies would like us to believe. They can jam the power in there, just not the cooling needed for all that power - or rather the cooling for all that wasted power - power lost in the form of heat.

Anyway, sorry - I ramble sometimes.

I agree with using a cooling pad but I prefer pads with their own external power supplies so you don’t put more strain on the notebook, causing it to generate even more heat. But sadly, pads with external power supplies like this Link Removed due to 404 Error are getting harder to find. Road warriors don’t like to lug around a lot of heavy power blocks. So if your pad runs off USB power only, I recommend using a USB Wall Adapter to power the pad whenever possible.

Last edited:
I got a acer windows 7. My problem is that, when I have a browser open, the temperature (I am using coretemp) is at 38C (core 0) and 43C (core 1). BUT, when I am playing minecraft the temperature are reaching up to 86C, that is on the max. however, this only happens when I am playing minecraft and a browser on the same time. when I am playing minecraft itself, its still reaching up to 80C. I got a chill mat too, but still the pc are getting too warm. after a short time with the browser and minecraft open at the same time, or a long time with only the minecraft on, it simply overheat and turns itself off. can someone tell me why this is happening, and how I can fix it? Thank you. If you want too, I can post some pictures later. Again: Thank you.

Back