Windows 7 ASUS P5B motherboard shutdown issue - please report your findings

Daniel Polwarth

Hello,

I believe there may be an issue with Windows 7 and the Asus P5B series of motherboards. In particular there seems to be a problem that occurs when trying to shut down the machine - the software closes properly, but the fans continue to spin and the lights stay on, and the machine must be powered down manually. Several people with these boards have had this issue.

If you have this board, please let me know if you either have or have not experienced this problem. It only occurs on Windows 7, both on the 64-bit and 32-bit edition, not on Vista or XP. Also, I would be interested to know what BIOS version you have.

Thanks for any feedback,

Daniel

Hello,

I believe there may be an issue with Windows 7 and the Asus P5B series of motherboards. In particular there seems to be a problem that occurs when trying to shut down the machine - the software closes properly, but the fans continue to spin and the lights stay on, and the machine must be powered down manually. Several people with these boards have had this issue.

If you have this board, please let me know if you either have or have not experienced this problem. It only occurs on Windows 7, both on the 64-bit and 32-bit edition, not on Vista or XP. Also, I would be interested to know what BIOS version you have.

Thanks for any feedback,

Daniel

Well, i dont have exactly that motherboard series, but i have the same issue, my MB is Asus P5KC.

But its pretty weird, because when i turn on my cumputer at morning everything its ok, but at night when i shutdown, the lights and the fans still runs and I have to turn it off manually, but when that happens, I turn on my computer again and inmediatly I shutdown it and it works. It seems like a software problem, maybe the antivirus, I use antivir.

Pd: sry for my english, im not english speaking.

Edit1: My bios:

Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 0701
Date: 07/03/2007

Last edited:
Well, i dont have exactly that motherboard series, but i have the same issue, my MB is Asus P5KC.

But its pretty weird, because when i turn on my cumputer at morning everything its ok, but at night when i shutdown, the lights and the fans still runs and I have to turn it off manually, but when that happens, I turn on my computer again and inmediatly I shutdown it and it works. It seems like a software problem, maybe the antivirus, I use antivir.

Pd: sry for my english, im not english speaking.

Edit1: My bios:

Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 0701
Date: 07/03/2007

It could be that Asus have cut a few corners with their power management on their boards. My board fails every time no matter what, but its probably an older model than yours. You might find a BIOS update solves the problem - in the past I've sometimes had luck fixing irritating issues like this with an update.

Although I can't blame Asus for producing a motherboard that doesn't work with an operating system that wasn't invented when they made it, I'm disappointed they haven't done more to fix the problem. Waiting for the retail edition isn't good enough. They need to act now.

I think there are some issues with Asus mobo support at current.

I'm running a Asus P5Q Delux here and while shutdown does work, sleep kills my machine. Will not wake up, even after reboot, cold boot and unplugging for over 30 mins.

The only way I can get my machine to pass POST after a sleep on Win 7 is to reset CMOS. :(

BIOS is updated to the latest release from Asus.

This definitely seems to be an issue, then. Does anyone else have a problem like this? Does anyone know if its being worked on by Asus or Microsoft?

I believe there may be an issue with Windows 7 and the Asus P5B series of motherboards. In particular there seems to be a problem that occurs when trying to shut down the machine - the software closes properly, but the fans continue to spin and the lights stay on, and the machine must be powered down manually.

I had the same problem with P5B-E, and I found the solution in one of the forums. In my case, it was enough to check one of the power management options for IEEE-1394 controller in Device Manager (something like "Allow to turn off this device to save power"). But I think this solution is not suitable for the P5B motherboard, because it has no integrated IEEE-1394.

I had the same problem with P5B-E, and I found the solution in one of the forums. In my case, it was enough to check one of the power management options for IEEE-1394 controller in Device Manager (something like "Allow to turn off this device to save power"). But I think this solution is not suitable for the P5B motherboard, because it has no integrated IEEE-1394.

That's fascinating. As it happens, I do have a firewire card installed in my machine, and I wonder if this could be causing the problem. I'll have to put it to the test later.

Thanks for the tip!

I have that particular mobo revision 1 with bios 1803 which I believe is the latest official from the manufacterer
there are no issues with this mobo for me
all mobo chipsets were recognized upon installation so no extra drivers were necessary

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) build 7100

I have that particular mobo revision 1 with bios 1803 which I believe is the latest official from the manufacterer
there are no issues with this mobo for me
all mobo chipsets were recognized upon installation so no extra drivers were necessary

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) build 7100

That's interesting, because you actually have an older BIOS than me. I think the latest BIOS is 2001. could it be the older BIOS works okay? Anyone else?

Solution that worked for me.

Somebody posted this solution on my site. It worked for. I have P5B-E motherboard and Window 7 x64 RC. Link Removed - Invalid URL

Just found the solution you are talking about, and you're right. If you set the IEE 1394 to save power the machine shuts down perfectly. I don't know why either, but if it works, I'm happy.

Spread the word!

Just wanted to mention that this solution worked for me too! :)
I checked the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the "Power management" tab of the properties window of my "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller". This is reachable through the device manager.

Now the system powers off completely. I also have the P5B-E motherboard.

Greetings,
Tim

I am using an Asus P5B-E with 1802 Bios. It had the same shutdown problem being discussed here. I went to the Device Manager and set the IEEE as suggested in a prior post and the machinge now shuts down correctly.
I am also running a P6T Deluxe V2 and it shuts down correctly without any problems.
I notice on both machines in Device Manager that "ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" has an exclamation point. The properties say it is working. I attribute the exclaimation point to an unsigned driver from Asus. Is that correct?

Hi, I have a P5B-E with this exact same problem.

I also notice that since I upgraded to the Release Candidate I can now only do a sleep once per boot (wich works and resumes) then next sleep just hangs the system. Sleep worked fine on the Beta and that's what I used to get around the fact that I couldn't shutdown smoothly.

My BIOS:
American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version 1803

I noticed that the ATK0110 ACPI Utility driver is at version 1043.4.0.0 and I think it was at 1043.2.15.37 on the beta, but rolling back to that driver didn't fix the sleep issue.

I'm about to try the IEEE1394 fix now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes, it fixed my shutdown issue, thanks!

Still have the problem with Sleep only working once per boot. Is this just me? Maybe it's because I didn't do a clean install between the Beta and the Release Candidate (naughty me). It's really strange though, because the first time Sleep works on about a second or two. The next attempt (after wake from sleep) the screen goes off and there is a lot of hard drive activity, but no 'fan-off' S3 is reached and I have to do a hold power for 5 seconds to get out of it. Then when Windows resumes a get an error about Windows recovering from a serious error.

Edit: Okay I've fixed my Sleep issue too. I had unchecked the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for my Atheros L1 Ethernet Controller. This was because (in the Beta I think) it would not work after a sleep without this unchecked. Anyway, ticking the box again means that now my PC sleeps and wakes every time with no problems.

One interesting thing I noticed in Device Manager. After a wake from sleep there is now an explanation mark by the IEE1394 device and in properties it has a Device status of "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Oh well, I don't use it anyway, but maybe that's why it had it's "Allow the computer to turn off this device" thingy disabled in the first place? Still, I prefer my working shutdown and broken IEE1394 than the other way around.

Last edited:
Click “Startâ€Â￾, on “Computerâ€Â￾ click right mouse button and select “Propertiesâ€Â￾, click “Device Managerâ€Â￾, select “IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllersâ€Â￾ group, only contains one device called “VIA 1394 OHCI Compilant Host COntrollerâ€Â￾ on that click right mouse button and select “Propertiesâ€Â￾, select “Power Managementâ€Â￾ tab, and finally check the “Allow the computer to tur off this device to save powerâ€Â￾ box!

Hi to all! I wouldi like to ask about the firewire port.. i also have the ASUS P5B-E motherboard and i had to check the "Allow computer to turn off the device.." but now the 1394 port has disappeared from device manager and every time i need to connect my sony DV camera i have to power on again this port in order to recognize it.. is this normal? Windows 7 completely power off the firewire port and the only way to enable it again is by restart and power on again?:confused:

Hi,

I revive this thread since I have the same problem with W7 Ultimate 64bits and a ASUS P5B-E.

I have both software and hardware updates installed...

Also played with Power options without success.

Back
Top Bottom