Windows 7 At a loss:Windows is Hanging on Splash Screen

MAVE2ICK

So basically over the weekend i shut my computer down because i was not going to be home. On sunday i go to turn my computer on and it hangs at the windows logo splash screen after POST. So i grab my laptop and start researching. I am able to get into safe mode with out any trouble only when i start windows normally do i run into problems. So here is what i have tried and with no success. Start up repair w/ and w/out disc, system restore, i have reinstalled windows 3 times, with 2 different versions..pro and ultimate and on first reboot i have the same problem.......i flashed my bios about a year ago and have had minor issues since then that were all fixed by using krndbg and windows symbols server as a reference...does anyone have any ideas??? it hard for me to believe its a hardware issue or my bios being it has run fine for little over a year. Thanks guys -Matt

Hi

If you computer will load into safe mode but not regular mode then the odds are that something that you are loading is causing the problem.

First start in safe mode with networking and in the run menu type "msconfig" without the quotes.

When the window opens in the general tab select Diagnostic Startup.
Click apply and then reboot your computer and see if it boots into Windows normally.

If it does then the next step it to figure out what it's trying to load that won't start and hangs the computer.

You would do that by going back to "msconfig" again, and selecting Normal Startup and then going to the Startup tab, and looking at what the computer loads at Startup and disabling all of them.

They won't by removed it will just uncheck their boxes.

It will still be loading all of your services.

Reboot again and if it starts, re-enable the Startup items a few at a time until it fails and then look at what you had just enabled.

If it doesn't load with all the Startup items disabled. then do the same thing with services. Click the hide MS services box.

It's a pain but maybe you will get lucky and once you get it to load into Windows the first time it will keep doing it.
I've had that happen a lot, it just gets past the block and fixes it'self.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Ps. It could be a problem with your display drivers (they may have been corrupted or something) but it's hard to tell, if you can update them in safe mode you could try that.

Last edited:
This sounds reminiscent of a virus or malware on your system. While in safe mode with networking, update you AV and run it, then update Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D and Adware and run them. If you don't have them download them in safemode with networking and then run them, full scans.

i would say a corrupted BIOS/ incorrect bios setup,

what model of computer to do you have??

try .............. reset the CMOS / Jumper

thx guys..i will first try and reset the CMOS/jumper being that it the easiest thing to do :D...i thought at first virus...but after a clean install that ruled virus out...i think mike may be onto something with the display drivers...so tonight i will look into that and see if any of these fixes help...will post back laster tonight with results...thx guys

OK...so this is where i am at........I reset the CMOS and still nothing...so since it was a fresh install i reinstalled again to start from scratch to figure out what the issue is...so i update everything and load most of my drivers in EXCEPT the graphics driver...i restart and it works....so i load the latest graphics driver for my card and go to restart and BAM same issue ive been running into....so i load into safe mode w/ networking and msconfig it and tried diagnostic mode...STILL NOT LOADING IN...so i tried maually unchecking Catalyst Command Center for my ATI cards and still nothing...

Back