Atheros update crashing computer.

danieljag1

I just installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my sister's laptop, and when I was completing the first updates (like 100 of them), the computer gave me blue screen. I turned the computer back on and the internet wouldn't work at all! I reinstalled windows 7 again, and this time I didn't do any updates. I went to the device manager and selected the Atheros AR5007 driver and selected "update". Halfway through, the computer gave me BSOD. I rolled back the driver to previous version and all works well now. Is there a fix to this? Or should I just never update the driver again?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I think I looked earlier and there was not a Windows 7 driver for the WiFi device. If it has a Vista driver for your bit version, you might try running the installer in the Vista compatibility mode.

You could do a search for AR5xxx drivers and see if anything shows up. I can not recommend any particular site, so I did not give any links.

danieljag1

I have Windows 7 and in "device manager" it shows a device for atheros AR5007. I have downloaded the latest update from their website and installed it, but there is still showing an available update in Windows Update

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
You can hide an update in Windows Update. That would keep it from being offered again.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.