Windows 7 atikmpag.sys error

GFTrooper

Hi all,

I installed amd new driver 12.2 for my Radeon HD 6970 graphic card last week. Right after I installed it, my system lockup and I got a blue screen

FFFFF8800B1519E0 atikmpag.sys (no mem dump)

After a few days of trying to fix this problem, I decide to reinstall windows 7 64bit.

All ok till I installed the drive again. Same story, reinstalled again but this time I updated all updates. System still crashed but with a different error. This time I got a mem dump. Can anyone till me what is going on??

AMD 8150
Asus Crosshair V motherboard
2x 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws x ram
XFX Radeon HD 6970
128 Corsair SSD
1000 Corsair power supply
Windows 7 64 bit SP-1

Attachments

• 032312-12386-01.dmp
    269.7 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Hi GFTrooper and Welcome to The Forum.

STOP 0xA0000001:
Usual causes:
Appears to be a custom bugcheck coded into ATI drivers.

Your latest dump file lists atikmdag.sys as the probable cause.
This is a Windows System file and for it to be the cause of your crash is highly unlikely.
Old and incompatible drivers can and do cause issues with Windows 7, often giving false error codes.
Random stop codes can often indicate hardware issues.

As a Priority:

atikmdag.sys Wed Apr 20 02:53:29 2011 AMD Graphics Drivers

• Download and install DriverSweeper.
  • Uninstall your current Graphics setup through Programs and Features
  • Boot to (preferably) Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper to clean up the remnants of your current Graphics set up.
  • Reboot to Normal Mode.
  • Install your new Graphics set up.

Let us know how it goes. If you get further problems with blue screens, attach your new dump files and details and we'll move on from there.

HTH.

Hi GFTrooper and Welcome to The Forum.

STOP 0xA0000001:
Usual causes:
Appears to be a custom bugcheck coded into ATI drivers.

Your latest dump file lists atikmdag.sys as the probable cause.
This is a Windows System file and for it to be the cause of your crash is highly unlikely.
Old and incompatible drivers can and do cause issues with Windows 7, often giving false error codes.
Random stop codes can often indicate hardware issues.

As a Priority:

atikmdag.sys Wed Apr 20 02:53:29 2011 AMD Graphics Drivers

• Download and install DriverSweeper.
  • Uninstall your current Graphics setup through Programs and Features
  • Boot to (preferably) Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper to clean up the remnants of your current Graphics set up.
  • Reboot to Normal Mode.
  • Install your new Graphics set up.

Let us know how it goes. If you get further problems with blue screens, attach your new dump files and details and we'll move on from there.

HTH.
"Well" did all above. View attachment 032512-14554-01.dmp Same error. This is a new install with all updates. Any ideas???

You're getting a Stop Error Code 116
(Link) "It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception.

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash. As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds. If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating. Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU. Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference. If so, it might be as simple as dust build up and subsequently inadequate cooling." - H2SO4

Ensure that none of the hardware is being over-clocked.
Ensure that the machine is adequately cooled. Chase out those dust bunnies!

See link to begin troubleshooting:STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR Troubleshooting.

No over-clocking
No over heating (case has been open) Very clean.

The thing that bugs me is , the system works fine with the Microsoft driver... (Standard VGA Graphics Adapter)

This makes no sense!!

Can you see if the problem continues with the AMD drivers installed, but without the Catalyst Control Centre.
.....the system works fine with the Microsoft driver... (Standard VGA Graphics Adapter)

This makes no sense!!
That will be because you are by passing / not using the graphics card.

May be worth trying Video Card - Stress Test with Furmark. Keep an eye on the temperatures though.

Last edited:
I can't run the test because I can't boot with the AMD drivers. I can only boot into safe mode or Microsoft standard drive.

"Furmark requires an OpenGL 2.0 compliant graphics controller . Ati Rdeon X1000 and higher (with the latest Catalyst drivers)

I can't run the test because I can't boot with the AMD drivers. I can only boot into safe mode or Microsoft standard drive.

"Furmark requires an OpenGL 2.0 compliant graphics controller . Ati Rdeon X1000 and higher (with the latest Catalyst drivers)

I get the same thing but for now i just went to safe mode and moved the atikmpag.sys to my document folder at least now i don't get the blue screen and my system isn't crashing. I also cant view different things on different screens it all show the same until i can find a solution. the file should be located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\atikmpag.sys if you find a solution please let me know... [email protected]

Hi all,

I installed amd new driver 12.2 for my Radeon HD 6970 graphic card last week. Right after I installed it, my system lockup and I got a blue screen

FFFFF8800B1519E0 atikmpag.sys (no mem dump)

After a few days of trying to fix this problem, I decide to reinstall windows 7 64bit.

All ok till I installed the drive again. Same story, reinstalled again but this time I updated all updates. System still crashed but with a different error. This time I got a mem dump. Can anyone till me what is going on??

AMD 8150
Asus Crosshair V motherboard
2x 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws x ram
XFX Radeon HD 6970
128 Corsair SSD
1000 Corsair power supply
Windows 7 64 bit SP-1

Answer Updated: There are new Drivers Out But Make Sure you Unistall your Old installed Drivers First Before you install the New Drivers... ATI Catalyst

There is a video on how to uninstall your old Drivers here... AMD Support & Drivers go to the bottom of the page to the [h=3]Top Recommended Videos[/h] section and click on the video of your choice.

I Hope this Helps... So far its helped me and i had the same problem the sound is even better. don't know if you had a sound problem or not but i did. No Blue screen yet...
[h=3][/h]

Back