Windows 7 Audio CD ripping?

starterz

I am with a problem, still have 200-300 cds to rip and encode into mp3/mpc. Untill Windows 7, I had been using Exact Audio Copy with Lame (--alt preset -standard), but EAC does not work in Windows 7. Windows 7 freezes in a couple of seconds after a rip has been initiated - have tried with the native Windows ASPI layer or with the ASPI driver from Nero - same result.

If EAC is still not supported in Windows 7, what is the best (most secure) option to rip audio cds? I really want my rips to be as good as possible, which EAC provided before. The built-in Sonic ripping engine in Winamp does not work either.

Any other verified option? Thanks for any help.

You can rip MP3s in high quality in WMP11 but I'm not sure what encoder it is using. Definately not the Lame encoder, which I remember from years ago being well known as the best one.

if that doesn't work, Ashampoo has a free Nero type of burning program without all of the BS processes that nero runs. It works fine with win 7...heres the link Link Removed - Invalid URL

the free version is on the right...and I've used both the newer and the older free version....they're both great

PolderbitS

I use an inexpensive ('round 30 bucks) but absolutely fantastic application for ripping and editing music called PolderbitS (capital "S"). It has a recorder and an editor to remove "ticks" from old vinyl records and removes other unwanted noise. Go to Link Removed - Invalid URL for a 2 week free trial. Very easy to use program. Even I can figure it out and use it.

You can rip MP3s in high quality in WMP11 but I'm not sure what encoder it is using. Definately not the Lame encoder, which I remember from years ago being well known as the best one.

Talk about Codecs, I've been using "K-Lite Codec Pack 4.8.0 Full" They have three different packs. The Fulls not bad, for me, the Ultra would be better.

I prefer the K-lite pack also.

Open Windows Media Player, click Options, click the DVD tab, then the Advanced button.

This will list the codecs that Windows Media Player is using

Sorrry, these are all video codecs. I'm tracking it in Sysinternal's Process Moniror, but I haven't found a reference yet .

Last edited:
Ashampoo for cassette to CD recording?

You can get AShampoo CD Burning Studio (Advanced Version) for free.

Details amd links are located here:

Ashampoo Burning Studio 2009 is improved with new “Advancedâ€Â￾ version | Freebies | dotTech [.org]

I have downloaded and installed this application (albiet with considerable difficulty as they, at every step, wanted to install a "trial" of the paid version.) but I don't find a "mic" input mode. I am used to playing from vinyl record, 8-track, cassette, etc. through "mic" input to harddrive. I then edit as desired and save to harddrive or record to CD or DVD. I don't find this option with Ashampoo. Am I just that un-observant' or is that not what the product does? I would like to find a free product that does well what Audacity advertises to do, but does miserably poorly.

Try using G-Spot to sniff the installed codecs on ya pc, this may help

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

1) Download the latest GSpot zip file, and extract the four files inside of it. If you don't know what a "zip file" is, ask a friend.
2) There is no "install". Simply double click on "gspot.exe" (one of the four extracted files) to run GSpot
3) Use the "File > Open" menu item (or just drag and drop) the unplayable file so that GSpot will be able to examine it.
4) If you see a message like the one at the right, you need to install a "codec" so that Windows Media Player can understand the file and play it. Codec downloads are not available at this site, but a simple Google search (e.g. "mjpg codec" or "Motion JPEG codec" for the example at right) should do the trick.
5) Download the appropriate codec and run its "install" or otherwise follow the instructions provided.
6) This will "upgrade" your system so that Windows Media Player (and/or other players you may have) will now play the file correctly.

Back
Top Bottom