Windows 7 Audio Driver Help

redviper42

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered, but I have been unable to find the answer if it's out there.

I'm trying to get the onboard audio on my Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H (Link Removed - Invalid URL) motherboard to work. The chipset driver installation CD successfully installs the driver, but then in the main menu of the program it says it is not installed. I have tried downloading the Realtek driver for Windows 7 from the Realtek website, but that didn't help.

My system information screen shows this:

*Text only, the image previewed ok but doesn't seem to show up..*

Item Value
Name ATI HDMI Audio
Manufacturer Realtek
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_791&SUBSYS_00791A00&REV_1000\5&238F0467&0&0001
Driver c:\window\system32\drivers\rthdmivx.sys (6.0.1.5692, 180.91 KB (185,248 bytes), 6/7/2009 7:12 PM)

Name High Definition Audio Device
Manufacturer Microsoft
Status Error
PNP Device ID HDAUIDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10AC&DEV_0885&SUBSYS_1418A002&REV_1001\4&1454C4AC&0&0001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudio.sys (6.1.7100.0, 342.00 KB (350,208 bytes), 4/21/2009 11:15PM)

Anyone have any ideas? Is it something where I need to switch to the first device, (the one that says OK) or do I have to wait for a new driver before my system can play any sounds?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Try uninstalling all of your audio drivers first. Then attempt to find a Vista driver for your motherboard model. That is what I did with an ASRock mobo, had the basic Windows 7 audio driver to start. Sounded barely alright so I tried to install the Vista x64 from the disk and viola, nice and full range.

I checked in Windows Update and the only thing there are language packs, nothing relating to audio drivers.

My device manager screen shows two High Definition Audio Device drivers, one of which gives the error: Cannot Start (code 10)

(I still cant get the images to load, so here is a link to the album with 4 pictures)

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/572918357NOWJIz

Once the install window completes, it says 'failed' in place of 'installing driver software'

The motherboard has 6 audio jacks as well as an HD audio jack, is there something I have to do to disable the HD and enable just the regular audio jacks? The manual for my motherboard talks about configuring the audio, which you do (in Vista at least) by clicking on a speaker icon in the system tray. The icon shows up, but it has a red x on it and the only option is to troubleshoot.

I don't know if any of this is useful information, but hopefully someone can tell what is happening.

Last edited:
Another interesting thing that happens- whenever I am in the process of trying to reinstall the driver, (This happens every time I restart after uninstalling the current driver) Windows automatically installs "High Definition Audio Device" twice. One is successful, the second one fails.

I would like to make use of the 6 jacks on the back, but it's looking like buying a cheap sound card may be the way to go for now..

An idea. Don't install any driver and see what Windows can give you. Before RC 7100, I was using the Windows sound driver. It worked; not as much clarity as my other partition XP, but definitely fedility to use. So try that.

I tried uninstalling all the drivers, but Windows still installed the one that would not start.

My fix: I went to Fry's and bought a cheap audio card, and it works perfectly. 6 channel audio as opposed to 8 channel, but seeing as I don't have rear speakers (Just stereo+center/sub) the 6 channel audio is sufficient.

Thanks for your help.

Back