Windows 7 Audio Driver

Chick3n

Well I just finished installing Windows 7 RC and my audio doesn't work. Well put it this way, it hasn't worked with any Windows 7 i've tried.

It said it installed some audio driver but still no sound.. =/

Well I can't print the screen to show you guys but on the volume control where the lil speaker is at it says "No Audio Output Device is installed."

Thanks guys..

Multimedia
High Definition Audio Device
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Thats what Belarc Advisor said about my audio... anything else you guys would like to see?

Sounds like you just need to find the appropriate driver and install it.. :) If your Audio is onboard than it's just a matter of going to your motherboard manufacturer's site and they should have the driver available for download.. ;) I'd suggest using the latest available Vista driver if they don't have any Windows 7 specific drivers out yet.. :)

Well I just finished installing Windows 7 RC and my audio doesn't work. Well put it this way, it hasn't worked with any Windows 7 i've tried.

It said it installed some audio driver but still no sound.. =/

Well I can't print the screen to show you guys but on the volume control where the lil speaker is at it says "No Audio Output Device is installed."

Thanks guys..

Multimedia
High Definition Audio Device
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Thats what Belarc Advisor said about my audio... anything else you guys would like to see?
Motherboard make and model. or if brand name PC exact make and model. Like Radenight said, If this MoB has VISTA support there is a good chance Sound should work with the latest Vista Audio drivers. BIOS may also have Audio Menu in some cases to be enabled or disabled for the sound to work. Once again the need to know MoBo details:)

Windows 7 Audio

I am on my base computer and not the test one but you need to look in Windows 7 Devices and see if there is a ! or it is red lined. It actually sounds like your audio drivers need updating. If you have a on board audio (Motherboard) then you need to go to the motherboard maker and see if there are driver updates. If yu have a Dell, HP, etc then you need to go to their site and search for your computer model and update all drivers. If you have a installed card you should know what card you installed so go to their site and upgrade your drivers.

On Windows 7 go into the control panel and click on sound and see what settings are selected.

Well I dula boot with Linux Ubuntu and on Ubuntu it works just I have never gotten it to work with Windows 7 all other Windows it has :S

The name of my PC:

Medion m3 composer 5100

System Model
MEDIONPC MS-7046
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board b
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 06/23/2004

those are some other specs I thought you guys might need...

Medion M3 Composer 5100 PC Desktop - Product details and features - DealTime

Thats actually it. Except mine got a graphics card :p

I checked under Device Manager on Computer Management and under Sound it has High Definition Audio Device with the ! mark on it...

I actually downloaded this and extracted it... I'm going to restart now...

http://www1.medion.de/downloads/index.pl?op=detail&id=2319&type=treiber〈=us

Last edited:
I am on my base computer and not the test one but you need to look in Windows 7 Devices and see if there is a ! or it is red lined. It actually sounds like your audio drivers need updating. If you have a on board audio (Motherboard) then you need to go to the motherboard maker and see if there are driver updates. If yu have a Dell, HP, etc then you need to go to their site and search for your computer model and update all drivers. If you have a installed card you should know what card you installed so go to their site and upgrade your drivers.

On Windows 7 go into the control panel and click on sound and see what settings are selected.

Exactly what I said.. ;)

Well I downloaded that file I showed you guys but now my windows wont even start it stays black so I went into safe mode and deleted it and nothing so I just decided to do a clean install... I didnt have anything anyways :p

Any other solutions? As I really want to play this game and with no sound is driving me crazy >_> thanks dudes

Try hitting the F8 key (may be different on other manufactures) until you get to the screen that has repair My Computer, Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Networking, etc

Choose repair my computer and I believe there is a link to System restore.

You can use this to go back to a date in time before you installed the new driver.

Well I downloaded that file I showed you guys but now my windows wont even start it stays black so I went into safe mode and deleted it and nothing so I just decided to do a clean install... I didnt have anything anyways :p

Any other solutions? As I really want to play this game and with no sound is driving me crazy >_> thanks dudes

I Googled up a manual for the MS-7046 mainboard. It uses a Cmedia CMI9880L chipset for its onboard audio.

I haven't found any Vista drivers for the CMI9880L out there. Cmedia (www.cmedia.com.tw) may have dropped support for this chip. That suggests that Win7 drivers may not be forthcoming.

All that I can suggest is disabling the onboard sound in the "integrated peripherals" section of the BIOS setup, and buying an inexpensive PCI sound card. (www.newegg.com has them for less than $10, although the shipping would be roughly that much again. There are Vista drivers at the Cmedia web site, above, for the CMI8738 based cards.)

Sound Link

Actually how old is your computer? The sound chip may be being used by computer manufactures but you can only update drivers from the computer makers site and not from C-Media. This is another type driver which is embedded in on board sound which the sound chip maker does not support directly from their site. Another words it is OEM within the chip to computer makers. AFAIK Intel uses this in the 945 series chips but I am not sure.

Like stated previously I would recommend buying a cheap sound card which supports Vista because trying to update this on board sound just might bring your whole computer down unless your computer maker has an update on their site for it.

Last edited:
Back