Audio in not working with windows 7?

Hey guys... I just got windows 7 (from vista) on my computer, my motherboard has a headphone jack, a microphone jack, and an audio in jack.

I used to plug my ps3 into the audio in of my motherboard and I would be able to hear everything from my computer (which defaulted to one screen when I turned my ps3 on, from two) and my ps3... I was also able to control it in the computer.

Now it just doesn't work.

It detects that it is receiving sound and I CAN hear it if I click "Listen to microphone input" or something like that BUT it is very, very staticy and unbearable.

I didn't have to do this before.. I would simply turn my ps3 on and it would start playing the audio from it... What could be going on?

Motherboard: Asus IPIBL-LB

Last edited:
From what I see this is an HP PC.... This is probably a driver issue....
You will need to wait and see if HP decides to update the drivers for that system...

Can you provide HP Model information?

What exactly is the model of your PC? I searched around for your mobo and only came up with a HP/Compaq Benicia-GL8E?

If that's what it is then IIRC I read recently that HP wouldn't be releasing W7 specific drivers until a month or two after it is officially released, though I can't be 100%.

You could try the drivers directly from Realtek's site - here.

This is all assuming that it's driver related but I suspect it is. Good luck!

What exactly is the model of your PC? I searched around for your mobo and only came up with a HP/Compaq Benicia-GL8E?

If that's what it is then IIRC I read recently that HP wouldn't be releasing W7 specific drivers until a month or two after it is officially released, though I can't be 100%.

You could try the drivers directly from Realtek's site - here.

This is all assuming that it's driver related but I suspect it is. Good luck!
It IS an HP computer, I am not 100% sure on the model number.

Pretty much everything in it is non HP now besides the motherboard, CPU, hard drive, and optical drive

I have tried upgrading my drivers from realtek's site and windows keeps telling me it can't verify the driver and the install just sits there...

I click "okay - install anyway" wait.. and it comes up again, and again, and again. After sitting there for 20 minutes clicking install anyway I gave up on it.

The good news here is that it's only a sound card. If all else fails and HP doesn't release a good driver for your card you can get a Vista compatible sound card for around $25.00 if you try hard enough.

See this thread for a couple of suggestions on how to circumnavigate driver signing. It might just work with any luck.

Strange that it isn't verifiable/signed or whatever. Considering it is a W7/Vista driver and was only updated a week ago, and it's from a major vendor? Anyway, hope you get it working.

See this thread for a couple of suggestions on how to circumnavigate driver signing. It might just work with any luck.

Strange that it isn't verifiable/signed or whatever. Considering it is a W7/Vista driver and was only updated a week ago, and it's from a major vendor? Anyway, hope you get it working.
Thanks for all of the help, it wasn't signed the first time... Not sure what happened.

I just redownloaded it and wasn't expecting much but it did install :eek:... Started up and my headphones weren't working (great.. now I really messed it up) -- Had to move around some properties in the sound settings and got it working.. My ps3 is now playing sound through my computer again!

Thanks a lot for the help!

Thanks for all of the help, it wasn't signed the first time... Not sure what happened.

I just redownloaded it and wasn't expecting much but it did install :eek:... Started up and my headphones weren't working (great.. now I really messed it up) -- Had to move around some properties in the sound settings and got it working.. My ps3 is now playing sound through my computer again!

Thanks a lot for the help!
Great news! I'm glad you finally got it sorted. Happy gaming :)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.