Windows 7 Audio jack

guamamk

My audio jack or headphones on Dell Vostro 1015 do not produce sound. The computer recognizes and displays that a headphone has been inserted. The in-built speakers work well. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the high definition audio drivers. I have tried to troubleshoot it with the Windows 7 Professional 32 bit troubleshooter but it does not work. It was working well until a few days ago. I have done a sfc/scannow on it. Specs - Core2, 2.1GHZ, 2GB RAM. Help...

On the systems I was aware of, the internal speakers and Headset plug were on the same circuit. Plugging in the headphones would mute the internal speakers. Does this happen with yours?

Newer systems may have different ways of producing the sound, but the headphones should show if you right click the speaker icon and select playback devices. See what it shows in that dialog, and then, do you have another mixer, like Realtek that might be involved?

Please answer Saltgrass' questions.

I thought I answered Saltgrass' question but if I didn't it's that I plugged in the headphones which mutes the internal speakers. This seems to me that the PC recognizes that a headphone is plugged in but along the way something prevents the sound from being produced by the headset. I also do not have any other mixer installed in my machine. Any other pair of headphones does not work also.

We were missing the mixer information, thanks.

This seems to me that the PC recognizes that a headphone is plugged in but along the way something prevents the sound from being produced by the headset.
This could be something as simple as a bent contact arm inside the jack, breaking the speaker connection, but not making the headphone connection. If this were a PC, I would say to try the rear connections.

My friend Bing Google shows a lot of people with the Dell Vostro 1015 have headphone issues - though most complain the speakers do not mute when headphones are inserted. Other complaints deal with the location of the jack being in front, where bellies may bang into it, and over time, putting stress on the internal jack - which leads back to it could be the jack.

This assumes there's no setting in your Control Panel sound applet, or BIOS which has disabled that jack.

Other than, I am afraid I am out of guesses.

We were missing the mixer information, thanks.

This could be something as simple as a bent contact arm inside the jack, breaking the speaker connection, but not making the headphone connection. If this were a PC, I would say to try the rear connections.

My friend Bing Google shows a lot of people with the Dell Vostro 1015 have headphone issues - though most complain the speakers do not mute when headphones are inserted. Other complaints deal with the location of the jack being in front, where bellies may bang into it, and over time, putting stress on the internal jack - which leads back to it could be the jack.

This assumes there's no setting in your Control Panel sound applet, or BIOS which has disabled that jack.

Other than, I am afraid I am out of guesses.

I am grateful for all your help. I try not to mess with the BIOS settings cause am not too knowledgeable in that area. As for the bent connection it would mean doing some parts replacement which may not also be simple to carry out. For now I will continue using the in-built speakers as I search for a solution. Thanks.

As for the bent connection it would mean doing some parts replacement which may not also be simple to carry out.
But not for an experienced technician who sees this problem often. While in most cases, the contact tension can be bent back, sadly, once the metal is bent the first time, it is weakened and will never provide full tension again and will likely need to be replaced eventually anyway.

Sorry I was not of more help.

But not for an experienced technician who sees this problem often. While in most cases, the contact tension can be bent back, sadly, once the metal is bent the first time, it is weakened and will never provide full tension again and will likely need to be replaced eventually anyway.

Sorry I was not of more help.

Thanks anyway :)

Back