Windows 10 AutoPlay non-functional

borate

RESOLVED via a system rebuild. No clue as to why it was failing.

Windows 10 PRO.

AutoPlay isn't working in Windows 10.
The SETTINGS|DEVICES menu has it turned ON.
In Control Panel, it's turned on and configured to PLAY a CD.
It's not disabled in the Group Policy editor.
Neither of the two optical drives (a CD and DVD) will auto play either file type in Windows Media Player or MPC.

An MS level I tech made this statement:

"For this issue you can download Windows DVD Player available in the Store. Since WMP and MPC can no longer support CD / DVD autoplay."

While I understand that there's no native DVD player in Win 10, it strikes me that auto play should function nonetheless - using the default CD or DVD app. Or is the tech correct?

Can someone confirm this, and suggest what other measures might enable AP, please. All forum suggestions to this date have been tried.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. It's not an issue of playing a CD or DVD. Both WMP and MPC do that just fine - if manually started. It's AUTOplay that isn't working with optical drives. Here's a bit more info...

RESTORE DEFAULTS has been tested. This resets all to "choose a default."

"Ask me every time" (for a CD, in this test) does nothing. No Prompt.

"Shellhwdetection" responds "the requested service has already been started."

SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION is set to "automatic" and is running.

AutoPlay works fine for memory card insertion, but not for optical drives.

Could the statement that the MS Level I tech made be true: "For this issue you can download Windows DVD Player available in the Store. Since WMP and MPC can no longer support CD / DVD autoplay."

Last edited:
Yes I got it auto playing with VLC

- I see also "Ask me every time" for CD
- No special file type associations, only the VLC file types

But when I go to 'This PC' and right click on my DVD device 'BD re station' one of the options is "Open auto play" and there I selected VLC.

And Yes I think MS is willing to offer you a DVD player from the store.....

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom