AVG Antivirus Prog. causes Win 7 RC Freeze

I've been running the release candidate of Win 7 quite happily for some time (3 mo or so). A late update to my AVG antivirus program has caused the system to freeze and not respond. The msg is AVGTrayMainWnd is not responding. I am unable to access or shut it down. The only thing I am able to do is reboot! Any ideas on how I can remove or disable the AV program?

I'm running AVG Internet Security 9.0 with no issues so far. Is this something I need to worry about?

Thanks for the help! I was able to completely remove AVG with the Remover. This solved my problem with Win 7! The system freezing after loading was preventing other corrective actions that I attempted. Thanks again!

My Win 7 RC was operating quite happily with AVG until a Nov. update to AVG. This caused the problem of system freezing and indicating AVGTrayMainWnd never completed its scheduled operations. I employed the AVG Remover suggested above by Drew and it solved the problem!

My system is the the 32-bit Win 7 RC!!!

Thanks for the information. I'll keep a look out for this. So far my AVG updates have been OK (I'm running 64bit). I'll follow the removal tool procedure as per Drew's advice.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.