Windows Vista AVG Antivirus

Fred44

I'm currently running McAfee Internet Security. Yesterday I was taliking to my computer tech who said he didn't like McAfee and recommended the free version of AVG and windows Firewall. Any thoughts on this?
Fred

First off; McAfee, Norton, CA and any other paid versions and non paid versions are user preference. It's one's choice, which is the way it should be. Now with some of the paid versions, those programs will allow the user to interface more with the software which will allow the user to control what that application can and can't do. Which is great for the advance users out there. Where as the free versions are set and can not be manipulated by the user. Which is perfect for the not so advance users out there. Also some of these paid applications are system hogs, which means they use alot of your system resources which will slow your system down quite considerably.
I use AVG 8.5 and Windows firewall. I was using CA suite 2007 which came from my ISP for choosing them. It was great until I set up a home network. Then I started having issues with network setups and firewall blockages and the list continued. I would go down the list and fix it one thing at a time and then something else would crop up. It became frustrating. Then did some googling and found out that some of those apps had known issues with networks do to firewalls. So I switched to the free stuff and went with Windows firewall and everything setup and worked perfectly from the get go. Now it has been a year and half and no issues or problems to report. Knock on wood.

Yep...........Nothing wrong with AVG although I would use another firewall as well such as Comodo that is also free

In my opinion McAfee and Symantec software are bloatware. I have had entire systems wiped out with Symantec using too many resources. While no longer the resource hog it once was, Symantec still has a lot of issues. While free, AVG will be the best. Otherwise you must go with NOD32 hands down. Malware/spyware protection: Make sure you are using the latest version of either Firefox or Internet Explorer, keep your system up-to-date with Microsoft updates, and use Malwarebytes for localized threats.

Hi! System Hog No More>>> McAfee put out this gizmo called "Secure Spot". My ISP was pushing for customers to buy one, offering it for free. When my Norton Internet Security subscription runs out in about 3 months, I plan to plug it in- "Between the Modem and Router". It scans the Internet before it gets to my computer. There is a small necessary program installed in my computer with a control panel. One gizmo protects up to 4 computers. (I'm guessing that Norton and the others will soon follow suite)

Yup AVG is fine and is also quite tweakable. Check the Vista Tweakguide on how...

Hi to FengroonoSync,

as your posts have not appeared in your tally yet I can only conclude that it is of a suspicious nature and you will be watched for spam. I don't mean to offend and if all is well then I'll apologise.

Sorry to the OP for crashing the thread..

Thanks to all for the information. Does anyone know if McAffee is particularly difficult ot uninstall (Like Norton which is virtually impossible to get rid of), or can you simply go do control panel>uninstall program, and take it out? Thanks again.

Fred

Yup AVG is fine and is also quite tweakable. Check the Vista Tweakguide on how...

kemical,

Do you advise doing all the tweaks recommended in the Tweak Guide. There's a lot of 'em. My PC tech said all I need to do is uncheck "toolbar scanner" on install. What's your opinion on this?

Fred

Yep, thats a good tip... I also untick the 'link scanner' and languages boxes. The only other thing I do is to untick the auto scan schedule. I basically run it almost every day anyway. As for the other stuff suggested, it doesn't really impact that much on performance, so I don't bother with it.
Hope thats a help..:)

I just now put in AVG 8.5 to see why everybody likes it so much. Had a hard time getting "Resident Shield" to work. After I went to their free forum I found something was wrong with my registration. When I posted my problem the "Resident Shield" activated. And I was reading how I should disable all Security Software or I'd have to re-install Avg 8.5 and un-tick this and that. Apparently, it took without turning Windows Defender off, Window Washer,Clean-up My PC- Uniblue, Regcure etc.

(I'm starting to feel I should go back to Windows Explorer 7. Windows Explorer 8 is a "Make You Clean It Browser" )

The only thing I turn off is the link scanner and Defender (Defender is a little pointless anyway). I use AVG 8.5 for virus activity and Adaware for spyware and thats it. Oh and Ccleaner for temp browser files ect...

This website was totally closed to me yesterday. Server couldn't be reached. I hope "Mike" didn't install a Windows 7

Windows Security Center is warning me that AVG Anti-Virus is reporting it is turned off, under "Malware". My AVG Security Interface Reports everything is functioning and turned on except Indentity Protection- install now.
Why is it doing that ? Windows Defender is Malware Protection. (I have to work with previously installed products until they expire- no getting around that.) I thought I'd have less trouble configuring firewalls to let Microsoft keep it. I've witnessed Windows Defender in action once after downloading an AVI File that had a virus. (Very Spectacular)

I thought I was going to have a firewall problem with AVG and Defender after installation. Turns out AVG 8.5 says it is a corrupt Microsoft File and that I should download their File. Worked like a charm. I tried to get into the Beta Program for Microsoft Antivirus, but they turned me down because they had too many testers.

I too couldn't sign yesterday and like I said in the other post, 'posts have gone missing', as well as changes going back to the way they were. It's almost as if a 'system restore' has happened!

I too couldn't sign yesterday and like I said in the other post, 'posts have gone missing', as well as changes going back to the way they were. It's almost as if a 'system restore' has happened!
(Maybe Mike had a serious crash and he had to use system restore) It is possible what is missing will turn up or maybe not ,depending on what it would cost to retrieve it.

How do I configure my AVG Scanner for small quick scans ? I've been playing around with the "Scan Certain Files And Folders Option" (But It still takes an hour and a half) On the "Full Scan Option" I don't want them to go through back-up. (Hey, Anybody see the "UFO UN-COVER UP" on "Vuse" ? Sorry Boys, It looks like our computer is years ahead because of technology found at that "Crash Site".)

All I change is the scan settings to fast or quick scan (see screenshot)

Scan times will also depend on how fast your CPU is and how big your files are..

Re:

[FONT=&quot]I know of one the website which is Link Removed - Invalid URL and it is #1 computer security resource. Specializing in antivirus, antispyware, internet safety, backup & restore, and all-in-one security software. It welcome you to browse there growing inventory which includes all major brands such as Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, ESET, and AVG. [/FONT]

Back