Windows 10 BACK -UP

Bas

Hi

I recently upgraded Win 7 to Win 10; though it looked nice, several of my apps would not work, In particular, Kaspersky IS and NVIDIA Experience just would not work. I fiddled around for ages and, finally. downgraded back to Win 7. After several registry problems, I got KIS 16 and NVIDIA (latest driver) sorted. These should now be Win 10 compatible. I was going to upgrade again but I noticed Win update no longer works - I get error code 0x80041321 and a message that says 'The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.' Well, I don't even know where the task image is! I reckon the Win 7 -> 10 -> 7 processes caused it.

My query is twofold: first, can I fix this problem, and how; second, if I re-install Win 10, will the problem automatically be corrected?

Any help or advice gratefully received, Bas

Hi,
you can bypass the Windows update by using the media creation tool from Microsoft. This can be found the page here:
Windows 10

Thanks kemical - a useful tip if I decide to return to Win 10. However, excuse my ignorance, but how does this relate to the damaged image file and Windows backup?

Thanks kemical, the link you gave looks the biz. However, next problem! The link involves deleting registry keys (oo er!) So, I have practised on a key I know is unneeded (CCCleaner). I exported it to my Desktop then uninstalled CCCleaner so the key was automatically deleted from the registry. I then tried to import the key back to my registry. This is what I get:
'Cannot import G:\Simmonew|Desktop\ccreg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.' So, how do I back -up and recover a registry or key if necessary? I've tried the C: DOS prompt but, since it is running in Windows, the same thing happens. Grateful for any help.

“WHAT WE FEAR OF DOING MOST IS USUALLY WHAT WE MOST NEED TO DO.” ~ RALPH WALDO EMERSON

Create a system restore point? If all goes wrong just go back to a point before you made the changes.

Yeah that's probably the best way. I'm just irritated that the import/export won't work for me!

I thought I'd post again to sat that, sadly, this fix didn't work for me. After much fiddling, Task Scheduler revealed 42 corrupt tasks! There were 7 corrupt entries in the Registry and I followed the fix from kemical; deleting these made little difference to anything. When I attempted to delete the remaining 35 corrupt tasks, not surprisingly the computer became unstable - at which point, I restored to a former working condition - the original problem is still manifest. I think it is appalling that an installation of Win 10 and then a reversion to Win 7 should do this to my formerly pristine computer: it is now a bag of nails. Through Google, I see I am not alone in this problem. MS must know this is happening but what fix is being offered? Only a stunned silence from the 'experts'. There can't be many other commercial enterprises that would sit back knowing their product was corrupting perfectly good systems, while doing nothing to rectify the error.

Hi Bas,
if the upgrade completed successfully then why not download the Windows 10 iso and then perform a clean install? Back up what files and folders you can and start afresh. The activation key will be stored online with your win 7 key and so you won't need to input an activation key. Just keep pressing skip.
I didn't bother upgrading as I have access to an MSDN account and did a clean install. The system has been running pretty much perfect since install so i urge you to try it.
The upgrade process IMO can be somewhat hit and miss. To be honest it's a process I'll take great lengths to avoid as personally I think it's pants..;)

Hi Kemical
The original Win 10 upgrade did not work so I reverted to Win 7 this process corrupted my image files. So, if I upgrade to Win 10 again (now that all apps are supposedly compatible) will a Win 10 upgrade cure the corrupt tasks or just perpetuate them into the new installation? Bas

It shouldn't carry the corruption over but do make sure you disable kaspersky and any other security apps before going ahead. As I said above once you upgrade you can then perform a clean install so even if any corruption has followed over just clean install.

Hi Kemical

PROGRESS (of sorts)

I did an upgrade reinstall of the original Win 7 but the backup problem still existed. Task Scheduler showed just 17 corrupt tasks (instead of the previous 43). So I went back to your suggested fix in gHacks and meticulously deleted the 17 corrupt registry entries: low and behold, backup now runs! The task scheduler however, is 'not available' and, despite some 'Fix Your Task Scheduler' freeware off Google, it still refuses to work. A small problem compared to the other corruption I've experienced! The backup runs but encounters an error: Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\OneDrive\Documents. Error:(The system cannot find the path specified. (0x80070003))
and, in fact, that file is not present; I don't know why or why backup expects to find it.

I think it now might be time to do a free upgrade to Win 10; I assume your suggested media tool will do that? Once its done, the option of a clean install exists if necessary.

Really grateful for all your help so far - Bas

I assume your suggested media tool will do that
Yes, download the media tool, start it up and click upgrade now and your off. As I mentioned before as long as you upgrade first then you will be able to clean install after without having to input a key.
In fact you can get the iso file off the same Media creation tool too:
Guide
Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help
Media creation Tool:
Windows 10

Sorry to hear the Task scheduler didn't fix, it must be just too corrupted or at least the associated files are. Anyhoo hopefully the point will be moot soon. Good luck with the Windows 10 upgrade.

Hi Kemical

Its Bas again; you probably didn't expect (hoped not!) to hear from me again but I thought I'd just explain where I am. After much tinkering with Win 7, I finally got it going quite well apart from a backup glitch (which is where this all started) and a Kaspersky 16 (KIS16) corruption. Well KIS 'Support' were useless and, after 3 weeks trying to get an answer from them, I uninstalled and reinstalled - it now works. So I downloaded the media tool; but during installation of Win x, the setup failed. In desperation I used the upgrade in Win Update and it worked! Win x works well and is crisp and nice but it did carry over the backup glitch - which I guess must be in the User Profile? When I use Windows' backup it says some files were not copied: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\OneDrive\Documents and C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\SkyDrive. It cannot find those files, they don't exist.

I don't use either onedrive or skydrive; so what I hear you say! And yes, I could do a clean install as you describe But the system works well otherwise and a clean install is a huge faff.

So, how do I stop Windows backup looking for those 2 files or, conversely, where can I get those files to keep it happy?.

I promise to go away after this! Bas

Kemical - I turned on onedrive and found the relevant files in the onedrive directory; I copied them into the paths win backup looks for (above) and, with a bit of fiddling, it works! I now seem to have a fairly slick system. Thanks for all your help through this quagmire - tht's it from me until it goes wrtong again! VMT Bas

Glad to hear your got things working Bas. Any further issues crop up then post back.. :)

Back