Okay here is an update....I downloaded malwarebtes
Hi! I'm thinking you mean you ran sfc /scannow from command prompt. It is my understanding that Windows Defender won't turn on if you have another AV running . I do not understand what you mean by not getting pictures from screen saver. Your language needs to be cleaned up.
Also don't understand "Current things are not the same as they were a month ago.;)

1) "Hi! I'm thinking you mean you ran sfc /scannow from command prompt" (I could correct this grammatically but I'm not going to)

Yeah that's what I said ("I just performed a system scan with regedit using sfc /scannow and it said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any Integrity Violations"). It's pretty clear that I used the command prompt to perform such an operation regardless of the fact I wrote "with regedit".

2) "I do not understand what you mean by not getting pictures from screen saver"
Here is what I actually said ...."I don't get pictures posted to me anymore for my screen saver". If you look closely (which you didn't) you will see I used the word 'for' not 'from'. What you saw was your own thing and took the sentence completely out of context. That's your problem not mine.

Since you have a hard time understanding what I meant, or could possibly have meant if you read between the lines...I'll explain it to you. Windows 10 used to post pictures to me on startup and I would click "like it" or "dislike it" and it would use them pictures as my screen saver. If that isn't happening anymore when I haven't purposefully altered any settings to do with that then obviously something is amiss.

3) "Also don't understand"current things that are not the same as they were a month ago"

Another misquote. First of all here is what I actually said "Current things that are not the same as when I opened the laptop on its first day a month ago" (then listed the things that are not the same).
That sentence is pretty self explanatory but you seem to have this annoying habit of quoting only parts of sentences which then takes it out of context.

My language skills don't need reading. In fact your reading skills need cleaning ;)

ps. I'm trying to see where you actually helped me with any of my issues instead of trying to correct grammatical errors that either didn't matter or simply were not there in the first place. Keyboard warrior?

Last edited:
It's also normal for registry entries to be left behind that are not needed. You can clean them out or not it would hurt anything.

Hi I will bow out now! The language I was referring to was you using the F word. I did not try to correct any grammatical errors.
Good luck! I hope you get all your issues solved!;):)

Hi I will bow out now! The language I was referring to was you using the F word. I did not try to correct any grammatical errors.
Good luck! I hope you get all your issues solved!;):)

You didn't help in the first place so saying you're "bowing out" because I was ungrateful for your help is pointless.

It's also normal for registry entries to be left behind that are not needed. You can clean them out or not it would hurt anything.

The problem I am having is bullguard said I have 500 broken registry items and the tab next to it said remove...I'm afraid to click that in case it doesn't show me what they are and just removes them all. Maybe I need them, maybe some are repairable.

Also I looked at the quarantined section of bullguard and noticed that there are several files in there with windows defender in the extension. It says they are infected...but is this the reason why windows defender isn't working now? Maybe if I restore them windows defender will work again? Or if Bullguard has said they are infected should I just trust that?

Btw I experienced another "afk" crash in FFXI. Before I installed bullguard and Malwarebytes again I changed a regedit key, or added one that wasn't there should I say for TdrDelay (8). Anyway that fixed the problem 100% because I was afk for several nights running (whilst asleep) and no crash but yesterday that crash came back when I went asleep. I checked regedit and that key is still there but I noticed there was a new key there now called "UnsupportedMonitorModesAllowed" that wasn't there before I re-installed bullguard and Malwarebytes. Is it possible this has caused the crash while I was asleep? Should I delete it?

I've never used Bullguard before so I would check there forum. You can use CCleaner to remove bad registry entries as well and it will show you which keys it's removing and also allows you to create a back up of them. In security terms an IoC is any type of registry key, file, or other artifact that indicates a compromise, so it's quite possible these keys are associated with one or more piece of malware. The things malware is limited only by the authors imagination. It is possible and documented on malware have been known to either disable or corrupt defender. I do believe though the if you have an AV product installed Windows Defender is automatically disabled. You're not going to get any added benefits of having two AV products running.

What is the full path to the key? I wouldn't go deleting keys before you know exactly what they are for.

^Already deleted them thinking it may help something...but of course it didn't as the graphical problems I'm trying to fix are still there. The only thing I really care about atm is fixing the issues within FFXI which are basically this....

1) Background Resolution of pretty much everything blurs when in motion
2) Npc Text Stutter/Shaking/Wobbling etc (again only happens when I am in motion)

These are both issues that have arisen recently as it wasn't happening before. I've tried asking people for help and just get silly answers like "maybe it was there all along, you've just noticed it now, and can't unsee it", or "sounds like ghosting. you monitor is probably fucked"

Bullguard seems to be doing a good job of blocking threats as they happen tbh (and the only ones I seem to be getting atm are ones that say "network attack: PORT SCAN" on them. One thing I've noticed is when you install the other ones like adwcleaner, hitmanpro, Anti-Malwarebytes etc and remove threats...bullguard suddenly is stopping threats more frequently as oppose to before I downloaded any of those programs where bullguard was rarely having to do anything (but was still stopping stuff 100%). This makes me suspicious of those programs because the presence of them being installed seems to be adding more things for Bullguard to remove if you understand me

AVs are only about 50% effective so it's always possible that you have an infection and your security software isn't catching it. Also if you've had multiple and your AV has blocked them, maybe you should re-evaluate the sites you are visiting. I mean I have had several hundred hits on my AV, but that is only because I intentionally download malware. :)

AVs are only about 50% effective so it's always possible that you have an infection and your security software isn't catching it. Also if you've had multiple and your AV has blocked them, maybe you should re-evaluate the sites you are visiting. I mean I have had several hundred hits on my AV, but that is only because I intentionally download malware. :)

I've only had the laptop a month and I rarely use the internet anyway because a) I do it on my samsung galaxy s7 phone, and b) I'm usually spending all day playing games. Here are the few websites I've visited on a somewhat regular basis....

www.google.com (via edge and chrome)
www.facebook.com
www.youtube.com
www.hotmail.com
www.ebay.com
www.amazon.co.uk
(site removed)
Malware Removal site links
Various Job Search websites
Various online posts about problems with laptops
Various online posts about FFXI

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure I've had infections that have been removed and then others have appeared. I'm also worried my laptop is damaged beyond repair because I fear not only is the registry corrupted but I think my monitor or graphics card is broken. I also think something is up with the fans because they are very warm and I'm usually sweating because the laptop generates a lot of heat. Windowers Defender wont start as the laptop says the files are corrupted (they are in the quarantined section of malware bytes atm) No idea what that crashing waves on the shore/aeroplane toilet flush sound is I'm getting though.

I'm now paranoid and 99% convinced that because I bought it refurbished it was probably returned by the last user because of problems like this. Next time I buy anything like this I'm buying brand new. The difference in price was £2200 new for this laptop which I couldn't afford, so went for a refurbished at £1500

I guess my only choice is to send it back to the store and ask them to repair it and start fresh. I don't particularly need anything on the laptop. Ill probably have to rebuy reinstall Final Fantasy XI but that's about it. I'm actually downloading witcher 3 right now just out of curiosity if it plays with good graphics to rule out the problem is just Final Fantasy XI. I think it's probably one of these 3 things tho...

Monitor is broken
Graphics Card is broken
Missing/corrupt registries are making one or both of the above not behave as normal

Last edited:
a few days ago everything was running fine and the only thing I had that was suspicious was a file named dnslockington in processes. I was advised to get rid of that file and not ignore it...even though it didn't appear to be doing anything malicious. After I downloaded malware bytes, Zemana and the other programs all this other scumware just started appearing and then Bullguard all of a sudden detected 500 broken registry keys that weren't detected before. Funny that? >< Those programs appear to tell you about threats that don't exist and then infect your computer with more malicious infections...or maybe the infections come when you try to uninstall the programs,...as in if you just ignore them they don't do anything bad

ps. ive also noticed that if I'm watching a video on youtube if I go to full screen...it goes blurry...but when its in that normal windowed mode its super clear and HD but I cant really tell you if this was always there

If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.
Please be careful How you respond to my reply.;)

I have no need to respond in a negative way to a post that is helpful. I may actually have no choice but to follow these steps as there are too many problems going on recently. The only problem is I don't have any recovery media/disk. There is an option on the laptop to do that but when I tried it there were two options "remove all apps, keeps personal files" and "remove everything". On both of them it asked for me to insert a recovery disk/media which I don't have. When they sent me this laptop the only thing that came with it was a free 90 day activation license/key to bullguard AV.

ps...if the monitor is damaged I am assuming that the above process will not fix that? Maybe I can attack an external monitor to test and rule out that? I don't have one but I could buy a cheap one I guess

Hi If your monitor is damaged, no it can't fix that. You can use your TV as a external monitor. I have a HDMI cable that I can connect my Toshiba lap top to my Samsung TV. You can create your recovery media. You can make a Media creation tool . I'm not sure why it's asking for recovery disk/ media. That doesn't sound right?? You can use this MCT to do a in place repair install.
Here's how to do a in place repair install by Shawn Brink. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them!
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
MCT here!
Windows 10

dunno why it asks for recovery media but it does. And u have a hdmi lead for the ps3 and xbox360 so will try that out. If it works....my tv is close to 50inch ><

ok thanks ill look in to this tomo I need to sleep now

Back