Windows Vista Backing up pictures

U

Unregistered

Hi there,

I am trying to back up all of my pictures onto DVD+R disks. I didn't realize that I had gotten that type of disk until I got home but the first two disks worked fine. Now I cannot get the other disks to finish validating. Has anyone encountered this problem and know how to fix it? Thanks!

i thought that too but I have gone through like 10 "bad" ones already. I put the blank dvd in and then a window pops up that tells me to format it. I format it to "mastered" then go on to burn in but as it is in the beginning stages it tells me that there is no dvd in the drive...

It is possible that the other disks may be bad especially if they're of a cheap make. Have you tried taking them back to the store?

I just thought of another idea..... You could 'Google' the disk makers name and see if any complaints pop up

It's me again, If your burner program is a bit old you should upgrade to handle read and writes. Burn pictures as a data disk. (Nero and Roxio are the most common type software) However, a lot of people highly recommend Nero as their burning software. There are also DVD-R's that won't play on certain type media players. Oh, almost forgot- If you burned it on Vista, it may not read in XP.....But I think they can fix it, but I can't remember how.

This computer is only a little over a year old so I would think that the burner is pretty new. I will try replacing them and see how it works. Are those burning softwares (Roxio, etc.) free? Thanks!

Okay so, I got different DVD+R's because I couldn't exchange them for a different type of CD. They are still not working, so I am downloading a free trial of Nero to see if that works. We will see. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Well, it is possible some files in your media center may have been corrupted after sp1. Is this the first trouble you've had? What kind of computer do you have? My "Roxio" software came preinstalled, all I had to do is return my computer to factory settings. Although, Rhapsody won't re-install. I have to download directly from Rhapsody. (Nero 8 is not for a novice) There's a review between the two software's on-(trusted review.com ) Nero 8 vs Roxio Easy Media Creator-10 You'll lose your Roxio to put in Nero- I was thinking you should try to update what you've got, or re-install. Someone said Nero is faster...... MVP's like Roxio- your choice. You know I'm not sure, I think you own it more or less, if it's been preinstalled- but don't quote me on it.

So I did download the free trial of Nero and it worked like a charm. All the files downloaded onto the DVD perfectly. I just hate that I can't do it without it because I can't afford to purchase it. Does anyone have any suggestions on reliable, legally free burning software?

Thanks!

P.S I just now did the SP1 after I got my files backed up. I didn't want to lose them in the process so nope the problem wasn't caused by that.

Glad to hear you got it sorted :D Not sure on the software though, maybe Celestra can help.

Thanks to all of you who replied. This has been a big help. I am looking into that free software. Thanks for your suggestions. ;)

Back