Windows 7 Backup Drive

bluestillidie00

Hello!

I recently recieved a hand-me-down laptop from my Uncle after it was restored to factory settings. Basically I have a 270gb main HDD, and a 400gb HDD. The second HDD is (presumably) used for restoration, and I'd like to use it for games and movies. This is what is currently on the drive.
09697b4c4a77ebd31d0fe2b2d433b268.png

I was wondering if I could move all the files into a folder and store all of my games and whatnot on there. Also would it be ok if I rename the drive? (GameandBackup)

I hope to receive an answer soon!

-Tom

Thank you. Yes you can...to answer your question. I just wanted to be sure that your hidden recovery partition was still there and it is. That's the 23.07 GB Heathly (Recovery Partition).

I would just to a quick formatt on the D drive and then move any/all data you want to that drive. I would just rename that drive to something you will recognize right off the bat, like (D: data) or Storage.

It would also be possible to shrink the D: drive and grow the C: drive. Would you rather have a larger C: drive? If you wanted, you could eliminate the D: drive entirely.

In case you're not aware, you have 1 physical drive (shown as Disk 0 above) that is divided up into separate parts called partitions.

Why would anybody want a large C partition. For a normal user, 60GB is more than ample. With games maybe a bit more because the program files of some games are big.

But all the user data should go on a separate partition. Then you don't lose your stuff if the system goes down.

It may not matter since if the disk goes bad you'll probably lose both partitions anyway. It's easy enough to put all of your data into the My Documents folder which keeps it separate enough for backup purposes.

It may sense if you have 2 physical drives but if it's 1 physical drive it doesn't buy you much.

You are right if the disk goes bad. But if the OS (C partition) goes south, the data is safe on a separate partition. Few people know how to retrieve their data with a live Linux system like this.

I'm sorry, I'm confused.. So shall I format the D: drive? (My Computer, right click on D:, format?) I just want to be sure before I delete anything I don't want.

Yes....just remember to back up any data you want to keep before formatting the drive.

Back