Windows 7 Backup/restore useless

mistofeles

It is a good idea to have some kind of backup/restore tools in OS. The way Microsoft has made it has been totally useless and even dangerous. In every version of MSDOS or Windows the file format of the backup has been different. Backup made with WinXP SP2 can not be opened with WinXP SP3.
We have lost a lot of data because of these B/R programs.

In W7 it seems that the format is again something proprietary.

The only really recoverable file format for backup is still plain linear. If it takes too much space, use standard ZIP. ZIP looses only some of the redundancy but not recoverability.
Still you got to remember that packing and packeting files lessens the recovery probability, because redundancy of data and info about the location of data is lost in the process.
At least there should be a switch to select a format: MS Prorietary / Plain / ZIP

Also there should be a tool to delete the backup.

I think 3rd party backup tools are always better -- you can then create "Bootable" recovery images etc etc. This means you can recover your OS even if you have to install a totally new hard disk.

The Windows built in backup is really just an addon to the "Create Restore point" that windows uses when installing updates from Microsoft .

Get something like Acronis true image workstation or paragon. There are also some stand alone utilities out there as well but when it comes to reliable backup of real business data as well as the OS I'd rather trust a robust commercial product.

Acronis details can be found at Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis I like also the bootable media it creates so you can also boot from a USB drive.

Cheers
jimbo

Back