Windows 7 Bad file deletion

ecdraceofspades

Hello everyone,

I am having issues deleting what seems to be a bad file. Last night I downloaded a licensed program file for a software called Revit from Autodesk. Essentially this is a licensed file, and it is a 3D object for an architectural model.

My problem is that I cannot, delete, move or even rename this file. The file is supposed to be about 1.8 k big, so is a rather small file, but it currently shows as 0 k in the properties summary section on the lower side of the screen. I cannot access the file's properties either. I have tried deleting, moving, and even renaming it on both normal mode and safe mode with no results, all that happens is I get the window that says calculating file size, or preparing to recycle and it stays there. I have also tried using HijackThis to delete the file on reboot but every attempt is met by HIjackThis either freezing or stop working. I have also tried to copy the same complete downloaded file over it but it just sits there "calculating space".

Is there any way to maybe create a batch file manually that will delete this on reboot? or maybe use the microsoft malicious removal tool to delete it? I know for a fact that this is not a virus as it a licensed file from a reputable software vendor, in fact I have downloaded the file again and saved it on a different location and it works normally and can be manipulated normally as well. I have run my antivirus (ESET Smart Security 4) with no results, it does not even let me quarantine the file as I keep getting an error. I have no other problems with my machine, and in fact this bad file is not causing me any trouble is just sitting on my desktop idly, but I would like to get rid of it anyway.

Any help, or comments will be appreciated.

Thank you.

PS: I am running windows 7 Home Premium edition btw.

Last edited:
Problem fixed, I used a bootable copy linux to delete the bad file. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mods, please close this thread accordingly.

We currently do not close threads simply because they're solved - it's always good to have the thread remain open so others can share their experiences and advice on the topic where as it doesn't require a new thread.

Thanks for using the Windows 7 Forums, I hope to see you around :)

Back