Windows 7 Bad sectors?

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Take a look at the screenshot below. You'll see that it's of my RAID 0 set-up and was benched tonight (Saturday).
The problem is that they won't complete a full chkdsk and always gets stuck on 50%. Now obviously I'm thinking one of the drives is about to give up although the benches show that it's still giving great performance. So does anyone know what could be causing this?
Is a drive about to fail or does the answer lie else where?

(Head Crash, no Magnetic Alignment? Last guess: Corrupt Chkdisk. Exe or Autochk.Exe File) The mechanics of disk crap still confuse me somewhat. The graph doesn't mean to much to me yet- Zero is a Sector ?

What about S.M.A.R.T? Do you have that enabled, might yield some thing? I'm with Celestra, the specifics of disk's giving up the ghost I struggle to understand.

Unfortunately smart won't run as I'm using a RAID set-up.

The bench graph was just to show that the drives are still giving great performance although they won't run through a chkdsk..
I just want to know if I'm going to have a failed drive soon or what?

I'll try googling a while and see what turns up...

This is an older article but very informative on the cause of bad sectors:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks for the link...

I tried Seatools the other day which has a diagnostic element and this found the drives to be bad. This however can be misleading as sometimes running a 'RAID' array gives different readings than normal singular drives.
The drives will run chkdsk but not with the repair box ticked.
Also it seems that running chkdsk on a RAID array is a no no although this is news to me and it's always completed before...
Hopefully the affected drive will last until I can afford to replace it..

Just to add... I find trying to post or even look at a few different threads is almost impossible due to this sites instability. I just hope it gets fixed soon..

SOLVED...

I flashed the bios to the latest update and hey presto it all works again....:D:cool::D

I didn't actually know if bad sectors were the cause of chkdsk not working.... Thats the reason for my original post but anyway the bios update seems to have cured whatever the problem was..

So he's kinda saying I should reformat? Hmm......well it runs through chkdsk ok now but I guess the next time I re-install I can create a new partition...

Thanks for the link..:)

Back