Windows 7 Beware: Do Not Install

Kyle

A list of programs that will cripple, in one way or another, your Windows 7 system.

Adobe Photoshop CS4 Standalone (Kills Windows Update)
Daemon Tools (causes hard errors, possibly making the OS unusable)
G-Data Antivirus 2009 (Causes irreparable system crash)
MagicDisk (Can cause both hard and soft errors, conflicts with OS resources)

Please post more OS-Killers below and I will add them to the list if I can find information to support your claims.

Hi there - Alcohol 52 doesn't work. If you install you'll get a re-boot prompt. After the re-boot you'll get the same prompt over and over again.

The problem is that the "Virtual SCSI" driver used to create the "Virtual CD drive" doesn't work in W7 X32 or X64.

Problem is probably related to slysoft's clone cd as well --different implementations of similar technology. However just cancel the prompt with alcohol 52 and it's gone --it doesn't break anything else.

Cheers
jimbo

Don't install Microsoft Lifecam for vista or xp.. I read it would work, but you have to look online for the windows 7 beta test version. That works for vx3000 and vx5000...

You get the blue screen that says it has crashed and is recovering.. X_X

I installed SlySoft's Virtual Clonedrive and now my windows update doesn't work.

I use Virtual Clonedrive and my update works just fine.

I'd look at re-evaluating the cause of your problem in this case, since correlation, while seemingly logical, may not imply causation.

HP Officejet 7780 all in one

I can get this working through USB, and connect through the network, wireless or wired through an XP machine but I can't get the network to respond using a win7 machine. I can share a printer connected via USB or through an XP or vista machine, but win7 just wont do it through the network with that printer. What gives? Anyone else have to deal with one of these printers yet? The drivers installed very nicely however. Everything was automatic. I checked the port and all that.. everything seems to be right. please help

:redface: wish I'd read that before I had tried installing MagicDisc... what a headache!

Luckily, Safe Mode did the trick for letting me uninstall (unwise would freeze if i ran windows normally)

EDIT:
Unfortunately that was not enough. MagicDisc led to problems trying to do any other install. Had to do a fresh install of OS. I know better now....

Last edited:
Hi there - Alcohol 52 doesn't work. If you install you'll get a re-boot prompt. After the re-boot you'll get the same prompt over and over again.

The problem is that the "Virtual SCSI" driver used to create the "Virtual CD drive" doesn't work in W7 X32 or X64.

Problem is probably related to slysoft's clone cd as well --different implementations of similar technology. However just cancel the prompt with alcohol 52 and it's gone --it doesn't break anything else.

Cheers
jimbo

im fairly sure it had the same whilst trying to instal daemon tools it would keep asking for a restarting and never go anywhere with the instalion process.

anyone know another program that can be used to mount images?

:redface: wish I'd read that before I had tried installing MagicDisc... what a headache!

Luckily, Safe Mode did the trick for letting me uninstall (unwise would freeze if i ran windows normally)

EDIT:
Unfortunately that was not enough. MagicDisc led to problems trying to do any other install. Had to do a fresh install of OS. I know better now....
What is MagicDisc....? Is it a HDD manipulator of sorts...? If so, I just pop in a LinuxMint (Xfce) platter and use GParted. Never a problem. Ever. Give it a try, free torrent download, no need to install. LinuxMint.com Good folks... Brainiacs..!!

Hi Darryl
Before installing any software that mucks around with the hardware -- always IMAGE / BACKUP the system first. Often it's much cleaner to just restore the image if the software you've installed doesn't do what you want it to do. Also especially on a BETA somtimes the "Official" uninstalls don't always work or leave bits and pieces in the Registry. By restoring your image you don't have that problem.

Cheers
jimbo

Hi Darryl
Before installing any software that mucks around with the hardware -- always IMAGE / BACKUP the system first. Often it's much cleaner to just restore the image if the software you've installed doesn't do what you want it to do. Also especially on a BETA somtimes the "Official" uninstalls don't always work or leave bits and pieces in the Registry. By restoring your image you don't have that problem.

Cheers
jimbo
Hi Buddy,
I have never did a back up. I duuno how. When it comes to reading/understanding instructions I am just ignorant. I am a guy afterall.. (gals, ya know what I mean..haha) I keep all my data on a separate HDD that I give a hoot about in NTFS. That way Linux and MS can access it. No programs/OS at all, just data. MS/Linux OS is on a lil' 60 gig. Either OS is a snap to reinstall, which I do quite often. I like to 'play' with kernels. I mess 'em up. BAD..... To me, it's like tweaking a dirt bike engine.... Mess it up, yes. But, smart enuf to fix. I do feel sorry for humans that do not attempt 'play' with things in fear of screwin' things up. Mr. Ford....? was he scared? Is/was Mr. Bill Gates..? Heck NO..... Just Go for it...... It aint life (kitty cat) you will be playing with, it's just a bunch of do hickeys...... dunno.... I may be wrong.... just a dummy bricklayer...... (and a guy, haha... yea, ya gals are giggling at me...):)

What is MagicDisc....? Is it a HDD manipulator of sorts...? If so, I just pop in a LinuxMint (Xfce) platter and use GParted. Never a problem. Ever. Give it a try, free torrent download, no need to install. LinuxMint.com Good folks... Brainiacs..!!

MagicDisc is the Virtual DVD drive program that is associated with MagicISO. MagicISO runs without a problem, but if you click the menu item for Install MagicDisc(Freeware) be ready for a massive headache and eventual reinstall of Windows7.

MagicDisc is the Virtual DVD drive program that is associated with MagicISO. MagicISO runs without a problem, but if you click the menu item for Install MagicDisc(Freeware) be ready for a massive headache and eventual reinstall of Windows7.
Yes....... You are 100%+ on that point. I am trying to install a couple different NES games on my lil' girls MP4 player, Wow.... what a bunch of crud....... I have gone over five months in XPpro, LinuxMint without a problem... nadda.... I surf hard and heavy.... No anti-virus at all. No firewall at all. Ever..... Not until I downloaded this 'freeware' game, just to transfer to her MP4, that this machine got screwed up..... Sorry, I do not mean to say freeware is bad.... but this site and that program in particular is wrong. It just makes me wanna cringe when I help my baby with her toy. Makes other good programs/folks look bad. Which I think is just down right dis-respectful.

Paessler PRTG Free

I can't say with 100% certainty this was the cause, but Paessler PRTG Free was the only thing I installed on my system the same day that it became very unstable. It would hard crash within 10 minutes everytime and I had to do a reinstall to get things stable again.

Do not install Norton Internet Security 2009

NIS 2009 will crash your system and you will not be able to load the system beside in safe mode.
Instead,use Kaspersky Internet Security beta version for W7.It works perfect.
If you google you will find the key valid for 3 months.

Link for software :
Windows 7

NIS 2009 will crash your system and you will not be able to load the system beside in safe mode.
Instead,use Kaspersky Internet Security beta version for W7.It works perfect.
If you google you will find the key valid for 3 months.

Link for software :
Windows 7

I have been using NIS 2009 for weeks without any problems

Yup, me too. No problems with NIS. In fact, it installed a little gadget on desktop that I didn't have in Vista.

UltraISO

Hi.
As an alternative to MagicISO, Daemon Tools or Alcohol 52/120 I have UltraISO working on Windows 7057, 32 & 64.
Jo

Back