Bios cant detect my second hard drive

Hello

I just installed a second hard drive but now when I boot my computer windows wont load unless i enter setup and tell it to boot from my main hard drive. BIOS won't detect this new hard drive and windows cannot detect it either.

zvit

Honorable Member
Are you sure that you connected the HDD correctly and configure the jumpers? (Slave\Master)?

Do you still have a valid warranty on the C HDD? It might be a HDD failure. We can get into this after you answer the first question.

No matter what order I put the cables in it is the same outcome. When I take the second hard drive out of the mix everything works fine.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I had a computer once that would not boot if a drive was not configured correctly or at least set in a clean state. I had to take the drive out and format it in another system and then reinstall. Is this a new drive or if not, what is its current status as far a formatting?

zvit

Honorable Member
You didn't mention your knowledge about jumpers which could be the solution.
The jumpers are the most common problem. But There are so may other problems it could be. Like a problem in the bios (try updating or chose it to not auto detect) or a problem with the hard drive itself (are the heads spinning?) or maybe even a cable issue (though rare).

Follow guides on youtube or read articles to see if you are connecting and setting up your BIOS and drives correctly:
Let me google that for you

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.