bios update/upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by bassfisher6522, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Question: when and how often should one update/upgrade one's bios on there PC? Even if that PC is not having any problems. I am a firm believer in "if it's not broke don't fix it" saying but would like some sort of answer to this question.

2. Celestra

Celestra Former Moderator

You should read and see what the new Bios is about. I recently changed my Bios because HP had a problem with SD Portable Storage Device, something about not being able to read something. The upgrade is not necessary right now but will be later. (If you can use it take it) Eventually you'll have to take the latest Bios anyway.....

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

So where can I find my mobo info at. I have Belarc and Astra32 and both only give half ass info and according to HP's website, the bios update there is for MCP61PM-HM Motherboard BIOS Update. The only info I can find on my mobo is it a ECS Nettle2 1.0, chip set is MCP61.

4. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

If your not having any problems then it's well left alone... I've had the misfortune of updating a bios when it didn't really need it and the motherboard completely died. My trouble is that I'm always tweaking and learning when to stop can be a very hard lesson to learn lol...