BitLocker Discussion

Axel PC

Honorable Member
Do ya'll use Bit Locker? All NSA and Microsoft backdoor, giving the keys to the government, talk aside.

I'm more interested in encrypting my drive to keep my information safer, in case it's stolen or some type of malware gets on.

I'm interested in hearing people's experiences using it. Did you have issues with it, did you lose data, did it cause problems with your hardware, did it cause issues with your cloud based back up ( I use Carbonite), or has it been installed without a hitch?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910P using Windows Forums mobile app

Hi Lobo,
personally i've never used it but i'm sure one of the guy's will have?

Hi ! I don't have any thing important on my PC. I keep all my images and data on a external drive.
I use Window Defender, MBAM Pro, WOT, Ad Muncher, Malware Anti Exploit. I always have a malware free back up image of my OS.
I feel pretty confident about my cheap old Toshiba lap top!

Thanks for replying.
I feel like encryption is fast becoming a standard rather than an exception. Just like the trend of having a firewall, then with stronger passwords, etc. So I want to get on this train before I'm left behind lol.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Windows Forums mobile app

There are no backdoors in Bitlocker, nor does Microsoft have access to your keys. Bitlocker is FIPS 140-2 compliant which is acceptable for healthcare, banking and most government entities. Bitlocker works pretty well and I haven't personally had any issues using it. It doesn't require a TPM to encrypt your drive but the TPM adds extra security. The thing to remember is if you do a BIOS update you need to pause the encryption.

I just said that to put that topic to the side. It always come up in some fashion when talking about encryption on Windows machines, in forum talk.

Yeah I was reading up on the TPM part. I don't know if my mobo has that chip. I still need to check. But if it doesn't I was considering using a USB drive to store the encryption key. If I'm leaving my home for an extended period of time. I can put that USB drive some place else other than next to my computer.

Do you use any cloud back up service? And has BitLocker cause any issues or conflicts?

No, the data is decrypted on the fly so when you copy the data off the computer.

Whelp....
After all the reading up on BitLocker, I come to realize I have Windows 10 Home. The funny thing is I had Windows 7 Ultimate, then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro but it installed the 32 bit version. So I recently did a clean install to get the 64 bit version so as I could take advantage of my GPU's software. Well I guess I wasn't paying attention and I installed the Home version, smh haha! I appreciate the replies guys. But I'm in no mode to do another clean install after UPDATING/REINSTALLING everything haha! Maybe I'll do it this weekend, probably not. I think I'll look into other encryption options. But first I'm gonna finish my glass of wine lol.

Yeah I'd have to install Windows 7 Ultimate (deal with updating along side of installing drivers for my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, wireless card for desktop) then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. And that's just waaay to much to deal with lol. The Windows 10 clean install is no problem and quick. The Windows 7 clean install, will cause me to drink an entire bottle of wine in less than an hour!

Are you sure about that? I don't think you can have Windows 10 Home installed on your computer and then install Windows 10 Pro.

Well putting my Windows 7 Ultimate key in didn't allow me to upgrade to Win 10 Pro.
So I actually did a clean install back to Win 7 Ultimate, then clean installed Win 10. But I could only download an ISO of Win 10 "N." I Tried to find a way to download a Pro version but using the Media Creation Tool only allowed Windows 10 and Windows 10 N. So I have no clue what to do now, lol.

What? No way haha! ***face palm*** Are you sure? Because I spent all weekend looking this up and didn't find any where that said the Windows 10 worked for Home and Pro.

I'm also asking because I saw screen shots, of clean install walk throughs, that shows the person picking Windows 10 Pro in the drop down menu.

Geez, thanks I sincerely appreciate the info! But now I have to think if I'm going to go through all that again lol.

Attachments

• 1462767504744.jpg
    1462767504744.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 303
Back