Windows 10 Bitlocker unresponsive

Jed Evnull

Bitlocker is non-responsive on my system. The Bitlocker Managment GUI goes instantly unresponsive and manage-bde -status (run as Administrator) hangs as well. I'm running v1607, build 14393.321. I've not run Bitlocker before, so I can't tell you if it worked in the past. In any case, I have no past restore points.

You may need to run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r /f and try and repair your install if you can access the system.

Yes.

Multiple (too many to count) : Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory \Windows\[different files]

Chkdsk:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Windows.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
799232 file records processed.
File verification completed.
16577 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
893878 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 10045 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 10045 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 10045 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream
Security descriptor verification completed.
47324 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35275192 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
799216 files processed.
File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
22190729 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.

123878727 KB total disk space.
34026484 KB in 308582 files.
179644 KB in 47327 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
909679 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
88762920 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
30969681 total allocation units on disk.
22190730 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 32 0c 00 a5 63 05 00 b0 5d 09 00 00 00 00 00 .2...c...]......
18 0f 00 00 28 79 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....(y..........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /checkhealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

What is your reason for locking down your computer with Bitlocker in the first place? There are many other hardware and software methods that are 3rd party in nature that won't compromise your W10 integrity. After using Windows for over 30 years, I've never had any good luck with either compression or encryption using built-in tools from Microsoft. Opinions on that will differ. But, very few if any of the Fortune500 companies use Bitlocker encryption of their company-issued computers or laptops. There is a reason for that, and that adds thousands of dollars per year to the maintenance of computers by their IT departments that is generally unnecessary. There are other protection softwares and mechanisms that do a better job IMO.

If you have an Image backup of your computer prior to the latest W10 AU, you can restore it to an earlier version and attempt to disable Windows Updates and WUDO to prevent/delay the newer versions from coming into your computer. If the rest of your W10 is working, and bitlocker is the only app that is misbehaving, I suggest you simply do not use it. :noway: It's going to cause you more trouble in the long run than it's worth to fix it.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I never knew bitlocker was in use until I needed to go into safe mode. I don't want it and have no need for it.

It's not typically on unless you turn it on. If you can't get manage-bde to work you will need to format the computer. The command to turn bitlocker off is manage-bde -off C: replace C: if you have other volumes to decrypt

manage-bde hangs, so decryping isn't an option..the reason I wanted to "fix" bitlocker was to decrypt the drive and avoid a format/reinstall. Oh well, luckily I have good backups. Thanks for the replies!

Hi Jed,
Thanks for getting back to us; that's pretty much what I suspected, but it's best to err on the side of politeness rather than slam someone who doesn't know about the dual-pitfalls of encryption and compress on Windows volumes. Hopefully, you didn't have additional secondary drives, internal or external USB plugged into your computer when the W10 AU update came into your machine. That's bad news for sure. And now with the advent of new Ransomware viruses such as Nemucod and Crytpolocker, you shouldn't have extra drives plugged into your computer as the viruses can lock up your Windows and all your files ON ALL YOUR CONNECTED DRIVES AS WELL!! :noway: I just spent about the worst 4 weeks ever fixing a Customer's computer that was locked with 20 years worth of his business and personal pictures on his computer and all his external backup drives too. :headache:

You should only connect those drives to your computer, when you are performing backups, and then immediately disconnect them. Another thing I do, and sometimes I forget this too, is you should DISCONNECT ALL YOUR BACKUP DRIVES on Monday the day before the weekly W10 AU push updates (Tuesdays) are coming into your computer from Microsoft. This is true, even if you've attempted to turn off all the Windows Update settings as well as WUDO. Here's a discussion for you to read further on that: How do I turn off automatic driver update in Windows 10 AU

Also, too, there are now new viruses out there that specifically will turn on bitlocker encryption or even compression on your bootdrive volume, so when you said you didn't turn it on because you didn't want or need it; that's very likely. :skull: That means that if you didn't do it intentionally, and you don't share your computer with friends or family-members or roommates, you could have one of these little nasties in your computer which turned on bitlocker without your knowledge or consent. :eek: Did you try running your antivirus and scan/remove all viruses found? If not, you should do so before the rebuild of your W10 system. Additionally, you should download the free MALWAREBYTES antispyware from piriform.com and scan/remove all spyware viruses detected.

Finally, if any of your secondary or external drives are found to also have bitlocker enabled on them, you may need to do a good virus scan/removal on each of those drives as well prior to reinstalling your W10. If you don't, as soon as you plug in one of those infected drives to your newly installed W10 bootdrive, that virus could re-enable the bitlocker on your bootdrive, and you'd be right back to where you are now!! :waah::headache:

I hope some of this information proves useful to you.
Cheers!
<<<BBJ>>>

Back
Top Bottom