Windows 7 Bizarre problem with Windows Live Messenger...

chill901

Hi there, I have an interesting problem with windows live messenger and windows 7. WLM wont start at all but in task manager it is running, but you cannot end the process. When you click to open WLM it starts a new process which you can end, but there is always one msnmsgr.exe which you cannot end.

Interestingly however, if I uninstall the antivirus software and restart the computer, WLM works absolutely fine! I have tried AVG, Avira Antivir and Avast and as soon as any of them get installed, WLM stops working and does what I explained above. I never experienced this problem until Windows was upgraded to Windows 7 Home.

I have tried everything to stop this. I have used Revo uninstaller to uninstall WLM and it's registry entries and re-install it, i have tried installing an older version of MSN, I have tried tinkering with the antivirus settings to see if that helps, but the only way I can get it to work is if I uninstall my antivirus! It just seems odd to me that it only happens when the antivirus is installed... what would cause these to conflict?

I'm using a laptop with 7 home premium 32bit. It is an Acer laptop (which has all of those built in programs that acer like to put on running...) It has a Turion single core processor, 4GB of RAM (although only 2.something GB of that is used) Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom