Black screen after login (Win 7 64-bit)

Hi,
I am getting a black screen after logging into windows 7 64-bit. Just black with a cursor in the middle. Left it for 5 minutes and nothing.
I have looked for answers online but most seem to center on issues caused by a very recently installed something (driver or bit of hardware). I haven't installed/uninstalled anything recently, and the computer was working fine last night. I can start it up in safe mode, just not "normal" mode. Two weeks ago I installed fresh ram and did a clean install of Win7 64 (previous OS was Win7 32), but I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the installation and the computer has been working flawlessly up until now. Any ideas?

Question:
If this problem is not related to a startup file error, will running a startup repair hurt anything?

Captain Jack

Extraordinary Member
Question:
If this problem is not related to a startup file error, will running a startup repair hurt anything?
Most of the time it is related to Startup files. Nothing will hurt if you do so.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.