Windows 7 black screen of death help please

markeagle

hello, i recently installled windows 7 64bit pro,it has been working fine till today when i unistalled some sound codecs ,so i restarted the pc but when it gets past the windows symbol it just goes black with the mouse pointer?,i cant get into task manager either,so no mater what i press on the keyboard nothing happens(the keyboard is working thou ie press the cap locks on or of and the light goes on or off,so i turned the pc off and restarted pressing f8 ,went to safe mode but it does the same thing loads the drivers then just goes to a black screen with the mouse pointer?,so then tried the repair but it came back with nothing wrong?,then tried system restore but when it is just starting to do it it comes up with rstrui.exe failed the instruction at 0xfbb0584d reference memory at 0x00000008 the memory could not be read? is there anything i can do or is it a clean install
mad.png

thanks in advance mark.

Last edited:
It would seem if you can't get into safe mode that the problem may not be a driver. You say you booted with the install DVD and tried the start-up repair option which did not work? Did you try it more than once?

If your problem was caused by you removing the sound codecs, a startup repair should do a SFC /scannow and replace any necessary system files.

Hopefully you do not have some type of virus, but it would be a coincidence if it happened the same time your removed some codecs.

Maybe you could disable the sound somehow, perhaps in the bios, to try to get into some situation where you can reinstall the drivers.

Back