Windows 7 Black Screen - Samsung R540-JA04

Andre1

Hi All

I recently purchased a Samsung Laptop, everything worked well for the first 3 days.
Yesterday I installed Avast Internet Security Version 6.0 (I had a free license available)
Also right before shutting off the pc (for the last time it worked correctly) Windows 7 installed 61 updates.
After installing the updates I tried turning on the laptop later on I got the option to input password and heard the trademark startup sound and then it goes to a black screen asking if I want to enter safe mode or safe mode with networking.
So I am not certain if this maybe an error with the system updates or Avast!
Additionally I believe Windows defender had requested to do a scan which i had planned on doing but never did.

How should I go about correcting this error?
A registry scan ? System Restore ?
Or could it be faulty hardware?

Please help

Specs : Samsung R540-JA04
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS

Did you go into Safe Mode?

Don't know if Avast is involved, but Windows Update may have downloaded a driver that is messing up your system. Try checking Device Manager and see if anything shows with a yellow mark. In Safe Mode, you can do a lot of things to help yourself.

If the laptop came with preinstalled AV go to the manufacturer's site and look for a removal tool. They don't always uninstall cleanly. And make sure you only have one AV installed.
Joe

Back