Windows Vista Black Screen.. White Mouse.. Help!

vixen

I have a Dell Studio 17. I've had it for less than a year now. I opened it to log in..and usually I just use the fingerprint reader or type my login, but this time I clicked on "Switch Accounts" (or whatever that button is).. and it completely froze. I attempted to reboot and got a black screen w/ a white mouse cursor.

Here's what I have done (because I have been googling this):
- Start up in Safe Mode (same screen/mouse)
- CTL+ALT+DEL to death until I get a task manager (nothing happens)
- Start from Last Known Good Configuration (don't have one)
- Startup Repair (says nothing is wrong)
- System Restore (I have no backups)

Luckily I don't have too much on the computer.. I do, however, DO NOT want to reinstall WoW. LOL
What can I do, short of wiping the machine, to fix this?!

Hmm.......weird one....

You say you can get the task manager to start?

If so, click file along the top and then click 'new task'. In the box that opens type 'chkdsk' (without the quotes) and hit enter. A command prompt window should then open and hopefully chkdsk will run through and hopefully fix any bad sectors you have..
I'm not sure if this will prove to be a solution but it's perhaps worth a try.

Hmm.......weird one....

You say you can get the task manager to start?

If so, click file along the top and then click 'new task'. In the box that opens type 'chkdsk' (without the quotes) and hit enter. A command prompt window should then open and hopefully chkdsk will run through and hopefully fix any bad sectors you have..
I'm not sure if this will prove to be a solution but it's perhaps worth a try.

Kemical- This would be too technical for me, would you know how to do this? Is it correct ? I'm conscience of the black screen KSOD thing ever since the mini re-director wire wrapper engine thing- you know ? Personally, I think Microsoft is trying to blow hardware out.... Maybe I'm just paranoid. Link Removed - Invalid URL...

It may work Celestra although can't say for sure.. If you followed the instuctions to the letter (maybe print them out) then you should be ok.

I could *not* get task manager to open up.

I decided to just open a cmd prompt from my install disk and save my files (including my addons and wtf fodler) to a usb... then i reinstalled windows.

apparently, though, it did prompt me w/ a notification that b/c i had a previous installation it would save my files to a windows.old (i think that's it) file. >_<

Back